Chapter 11: Express trains

The station was quiet, and everyone waited for their train, until a blue and silver streak raced through the station, blowing hats and bags away.

Silver Link and Mallard raced down the line, trying to get in front of each other. "Give up Silver Link," said Mallard, "I'm the fastest steam engine in the world!! What chance do you have against me?!" "We're the same class," said Silver Link, "If you can go that fast, then so can I!!" Silver Link then raced forward just a bit, before Mallard inched a head. Perry was just about to head onto the mainline with a train of milk, but Mallard and Silver Link raced past so quickly, he had to break hard!! "RAIL HOGS!!!" said Perry. Mallard and Silver Link payed no attention to him, but continued to thunder down the line. Alex was puffing down the line, when the two raced by, flinging dust in the air. "HEY!!" he said, "WATCH MY PAINT WORK!!"

Soon, the two engines rolled into King's Cross, and Mallard said, "I won that time." "No way," said Silver Link, "I did." Soon, the passengers climbed off, and headed to the exits. "Well," said Silver Link, "I guess should rest for the time being." Duchess of Hamilton then came in, and said, "Did you boys have another race?" "Yes we did," said Mallard. "Boys, the shed master is not going to be happy about that." Mallard and Silver Link's smiles soon turned upside down.

That night, the shed master was not happy. "You two almost caused so many serious accidents. So, for the time being, you will stay in the sheds, and someone else will do your work for you. There is an engine that is in need of testing, so we will let him try one out." Mallard and Silver Link looked down at their buffers sadly.

The next morning, the engine came in with a whining noise.

He was brown, had four guide wheels, six driving wheels, and a large tender

He was brown, had four guide wheels, six driving wheels, and a large tender. "Interesting," said Bertram, "I've never seen an engine like this before." He decided to greet the new engine. "Hello," he said kindly, "My name's Bertram. What's your name." "My name's Barry, you scrap heap," he said rudely. Bertram was taken back. "I was just saying hello." "Well, I don't need to dottle with useless steam kettles like you." He then rolled away to collect the Elizabethan.

Mack saw the new engine, and said, "That almost looks like a steam engine. British Railways must be going retro." He watched the new engine bump the coaches hard, and waited at the platform. Mack was confused. "Hello there, fellow friend," he said, "Welcome's to King's Cross. It's so nice to see another diesel engine here." Barry just scoffed, and waited, and waited. "COME ON, COME ON!!" he said. Mack then said, "You have to be patient. Passengers can't just appear when you want them to." "Oh put a sock in it, you rusty shoe-box on wheels!!" Mack was shocked at his attitude, "You know, you should really be kinder to those trying to help you." Barry just said, "I know what I'm doing, and I don't need dirty, noisy, and mostly, STUPID diesels telling me what to do." Mack was furious!! "Fine! Get in trouble with the station master!! See if I care!!" He then headed around for the return trip.

Barry waited, and waited longer, and watched as other trains left. "I'M GONNA BE LATE!!" he said. "Calm down old boy," said his driver, "We don't leave until 8:00. It's just now 6:59." Barry waited, and waited, and he heard doors shutting, and he then took off. "WAIT!! WAIT!!!" said the guard, who was left behind, and blew his whistle.

Barry raced down the line like no-one was in control. He passed red signals, was rough on the passengers, and just raced through Peterborough, which was the only stop on Mallard's train. Steve saw Barry, and said, "SLOW DOWN, YOU CRAZY ENGINE!!!!" The passengers were even more cross. They were tossed around like peas in a pod, their luggage was flung form the seats, and even the dining and cocktail coaches were a mess!! Barry didn't even know how to pull a train, so he thought he was doing it just fine.

Soon, he arrived at the end of the line, he braked hard, flung the passengers from their seats, and said, "There, early!" His driver then said, "WE WERE GOING WAY OVER THE SPEED LIMIT!!! YOU COULD'VE CAUSED AN ACCIDENT!!!" Barry just rolled his eyes. He then saw another engine pull up beside him.

 He then saw another engine pull up beside him

"Hello," she said, "I'm Stacy. You must be new. Are you one of the new experimental engines?" "Yes I am, and I pulled my train with pride." Just then, the passengers came out, some bruised, and others with blood. They then complained, "WHAT A HORRID ENGINE!!" "WE WANT MALLARD!!!" "WHO'S IDEA WAS IT TO LET THIS CHOCOLATE BAR ON WHEELS PULL THIS TRAIN WHEN HE SEEMS TO HAVE NO EXPERIENCE!!!" Stacy then said, "How fast were you going?" "Fast enough to be 5 hours early." "Did you even stop at Peterborough?" "Why should I?" Just then, Harry came with a few coaches, and from them, came the railway board, the station master, and the guard Barry left behind. "BARRY!!" shouted the station master, "What were you thinking!?! You bashed your coaches, left the guard behind, were rude to the other engines, broke speed limits, ignored signals, and you even injured so many of your passengers!!" "So?" asked Barry. "SO, This is proof that you can't handle express trains!! You didn't even make the required stop!! Now, you made many people miss their connection too!!" "So? What's your point, baldy?" Harry gasped, he knew that the station master was very sensitive about his hair loss. The station master then said, "I WANT THIS ENGINE REMOVED FROM SERVICE IMMEDIATELY!!!!" "It will be done," said the head. Barry was shocked, "YOU CAN'T DO THIS!! I'M THE FUTURE!! I'M PART OF THE RAILWAY REVOLUTION!!!" "If this is the future," said a passenger, "Then I will gladly be more than happy to just stick with steam." "And why is that?!?" asked Barry. "Because steam engines all treat their passengers, coaches, AND superiors respect!!!" said the head of the railway board. Barry was shunted into a sighting, and his fuel was removed.

Barrow then came and took the Elizabethan back to King's Cross. There, the station master came to the two A4 Pacifics who were shut up in the sheds. "Now," he said, "I'm willing to let you both out, if you promise to never again race each other." "Yes sir!!" said the two Gresley Engines. "Very well," said the station master, "You may pull passengers once more." The two engines were happy to hear that they could come out.

Some time later, there was a special train called a rail tour that was coming to King's Cross. But that's another story.