Chapter 36: Private Engines

Soon, the railways on the mainland were up-graded, and the Steam of Britain Fleet headed back to King's Cross. All the way, they loved the time they had together. Soon, they actually saw something strange. It was an electric diesel that worked on the Woodhead Electric Railway.

 It was an electric diesel that worked on the Woodhead Electric Railway

He saw the engines, and said, "Hello, I'm Archibald." "Nice to meet you Archibald," said Marcus, "Are you a new member of our fleet?" "Yes I am!" said Archibald, "I'm here to help work on a branch line that goes to a quarry." "Oh dear, that's not the proper work for a dirty diesel. Then again, you were never proper engines." Everyone was shocked to see who it was. It was Alivia!! She looked very different now. She was dark red, with blue lines, the number 26 on her tender, the British Railways Crest on her cab, and had a single coach behind her, and said, "Hello boys. Get used to seeing me. I was bought from the museum, and I'm now the official private engine of the governor of London!" The engines were furious!! "You don't deserve that title!!" snapped Mallard. "Especially after what you did to the other engines!!" said Duchess. Soon, the governor climbed out of the coach, and was about to head off, when a whistle came. It was Spencer, who was bringing the Duke and Duchess of Boxford. "Hello King's Cross!" said Spencer. "At least there's a friendly face here," said Arron. "Is something wrong?" asked Spencer. He then saw Alivia, and narrowed his eyes. "Oh, another private engine, I think we'll get along just fine," said Alivia. "I doubt it," said Spencer, "I've heard all about your life. How you helped scrap my brothers and sisters! You didn't even show remorse for your own family!!" Alivia scoffed, "Not my problem if they were past it." Diesel 10 then crushed his claw!! "YOU WILL NOT TALK ABOUT THEM LIKE THAT!!!"

Soon, the engines were put to work once more, and they once more hissed steam, and blew black fumes at Alivia. All together, they were rude to Alivia, but she didn't mind. She decided to have a fun time, by taunting the engines that they weren't important, until Flying Scotsman came, and said, "That's enough!!! No engine is more important than the rest!!" "Oh, just keep dreaming, buddy boy," said Alivia, "You won't know what it's like to be saved twice." Alivia would boast about how she was private, and no one except the governors of London could ride her. This caused some arguments between the two engines about who was more important. "I AM A GRESLEY ENGINE!! AND I TAKE ROYALTY!!!" "PAH!! DUKES AND DUCHESS' ARE JUST OUTDATED TITLES!! GOVERNORS ARE WHAT ARE IMPORTANT NOW!!"

Soon, it started to get under the engine's paints. Alivia and Spencer could hardly even be at opposite platforms now without an argument breaking out! The other engines were soon put in the middle. Diesel 10 was loading a train of pipes, when he heard the two engines arguing once more. He soon started to shake, his eye twitched, gritted his teeth, and soon yelled, "Would, you just SHUT THE 🤬 UP YOU MOTHER 🤬!!!! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS 🤬!!!!! NOW JUST LEAVE EACH OTHER ALONE, OR ELSE I'LL SEE YOU ALIVIA ON THE SCRAP HEAP!!!!" The yard then fell in silence. "What about Spencer?" asked Alivia indignantly. "Mallard and Silver Link would never forgive me if I hurt their brother," said Diesel 10. He then took the pipes away. So, Spencer decided to head off to rest somewhere else, or even help out. He soon was put to work, and he soon saw Alivia sitting by herself. The engines who would pass her would always call her a murder, and wheesh steam at her. 

Soon, Alivia was to leave, and Spencer the followed. "Shows how much more important the governor is!!" she taunted. Spencer was red in the face. "Don't listen to her," said Mallard, "She's just trying to get under your paint."

Along the line, Alivia started to feel strange. Her injectors failed, and water was failing to get into the boiler. Soon, she had to stop, right in the middle of the mainline. Archibald was soon coming with a train of quarry dust. He looked at her, and said, "Karma can bite you right in the tail lamp if you're not careful." "How would you know!?" asked Alivia. "I was actually built during the Glory Days of Steam. So, I'm much wiser." He then headed off, and he helped Alivia back to the governor house. There, she was put in a shed, where she was looked over. Archibald just headed off, and Alivia quietly whispered, "Thank you." Archibald must have heard her, because he said, "You're welcome."

Soon, he found Spencer filling up on coal. He told him what happened to Alivia. "Oh dear," he said, "No so useful now, is she?" "Well, what really surprised me is that she whispered a Thank you." Spencer was taken back. "Maybe she does feel some feelings for her family." Archibald then headed back to King's Cross.

Alivia looked up at the sky, and said, "I'm sorry I couldn't save you Stacy. I just wish I was in your place. You deserve this, not me." Alivia was too proud to ever admit it to anyone, but she felt guilty for what she did.