Chapter 50: Ironworks Twins

Rattler and Norvin were in need of repairs. So the Station Master looked to see what engines were available. And sadly, the only ones were the Sodor Ironworks Diesels.

The two diesels were arrogant, and didn't listen to steam engines

The two diesels were arrogant, and didn't listen to steam engines. They thought they knew better, all because they are modern engines. They enjoyed taunting the engines of scrap. But soon found out not to do that to the Steam of Britain Fleet.

"Be careful," said Bert to Alison, "Or you just might get cut up!" City of Truro was nearby, and he raced up to him, and biffed him into some buffers. "LISTEN HERE YOU!!" he boomed, "WE DON'T TAKE KINDLY TO ENGINES WHO MAKE THREATS OF SCRAP!! SO YOU JUST WATCH YOURSELF, OR YOU MIGHT FIND YOURSELF OFF THE RAILS!!!" He then puffed off to take a post train. 

After that, the two diesel did behave better, and did help a bit, but they were still troublesome. The would take any chance they had to play tricks on the tank engines, they put trucks into the wrong sightings, and would take the right of way from Silvia and Bertram, and would taunt Trooper about his age.

Soon, they were taking a good train down the line over the in-climb. Bertram was helping with the back engine work. Soon, they almost reached the top. It was then, there was a loud snap, and Bertram was leaking steam! His cylinder had cracked, and needed to be repaired. His fire was damped down, and was towed away to the works. Daniel was sent to fill in for Bertram, and he pushed the two diesel up the hill.

At the next station, they had to stop at a red signal. Daniel decided to go up to them, and when he did, he found them laughing. "CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT TIN KETTLE GOT A BROKE CYLINDER?!?" asked Arry. "YEAH, YOU'D NEVER CATCH A DIESEL HAVING AN ACCIDENT LIKE THAT!!!" laughed Bert. Daniel then blew his horn so loud, it crack one of the windows on the station! "SHUT YOUR 🤬 MOUTHS!!!!" he yelled, "I'M 56 YEARS OLD, AND YOU TWO ARE ALMOST 63 YEARS OLD, AND YOU TWO STILL ACT LIKE POMPOUS IDIOTS!!! BERTRAM HAD AN ACCIDENT, AND YOU SHOULD BE FEELING SORRY FOR HIM!!! WE NOW WORK WITH THE STEAM ENGINES, AND YOU JUST NEED TO GET USED TO IT!! LIKE MY CONTROLLER ONCE SAID TO ME, GROW UP, AND ACT YOUR AGE!!!!" The two diesels were shocked at the venom in Daniel's voice. They then left, without another word.

Soon, they reached the yard that the goods needed to be delivered. It was a scrap yard, and they saw many old and rusted steam engines. They smiled. "Oh, now this is more like it," said Arry. Bert smiled, "Yes, useless kettles." "Is that anyway to speak to fellow comrades?" asked a voice. The two turned to see a class 55 diesel sitting in a sighting. He was dirty, rusted, with the words, SCRAP written all over him. "What are you doing here?!" asked Arry. "Waiting," said the diesel. "Well, there's plenty of work for you to do!!" snapped Bert. "I'm not waiting for work, I'm waiting for my fate." Arry and Bert were a bit nervous. "W-W-What fate?" asked Arry. "I truly regret the way I treated the steam engines at their end. Now, I've been condemned to the same fate as thousands of them as well." "What are you talking about!?!?" asked Bert. "ARE YOU THAT DAFT!?!" asked the diesel, "LOOK AT MY SIDE!!! WHAT DOES IT SAY!?!?" Arry and Bert looked at it and laughed, "Y-Y-YOU THINK THAT YOU'LL BE SCRAPPED!?! THEY'LL RESTORE YOU!!! YOUR CONTROLLERS CAN'T SCRAP YOU!!!" The diesels sighed, "So you're not daft, you just don't know the truth. You grew up believing that only steam engines are in danger of scrap. But diesels, they get off scotch free. I used to believe that, we all did. But the minds in the works keep making newer designs of older models, or completely new ones that meet all expectations. And the old, whether they are steam or diesel, get replaced, and forgotten." Arry and Bert were uneasy, until Bert said, "You said 'We'. What do you mean?" "Look there." The two diesel looked over, and what they saw, shook them to the core: scrapped diesels!!

" The two diesel looked over, and what they saw, shook them to the core: scrapped diesels!!

"WHAT!?! B-B-B-BUT, WE'RE THE FUTURE!!!!" said Arry, "HOW COULD THEY GET RID OF YOU!?!?" "You think they care about an engine that is still useful, no matter it's age?" asked the diesel, "No, they only care about money, and being efficient

"WHAT!?! B-B-B-BUT, WE'RE THE FUTURE!!!!" said Arry, "HOW COULD THEY GET RID OF YOU!?!?" "You think they care about an engine that is still useful, no matter it's age?" asked the diesel, "No, they only care about money, and being efficient. If something is old, it's automatically useless to them." "BUT YOU'RE A NEW MODERN-" NEW!?! MODERN!?! I AM ALMOST 50 YEARS OLD!!! I AM OUT-DATED!!! AS ARE YOUR CLASS!!!" He then looked at their sides, and sighed, "You live on Sodor huh? You're lucky. You're controller doesn't care about progress, as long as the engines he has work hard, and will get along with each other. That's more than what other engines get for controllers." Just then, a diesel shunter came, and said, "It's time." The class 55 was then shunted into the shed, and the doors shut, and what followed, was screams of pain. Arry and Bert were still in dis-belief of what they saw!! They shunted their goods, and raced back to King's Cross.

When they arrived back at Sodor, they didn't taunt the steam engines anymore, and they had a full respect for their home. They now know, they are safe, and will never take it for granted again.