Chapter 60: Best Dressed Engine

It was a bright day on British Railways. Today was the 55th anniversary of the official creation of the Steam of Britain Fleet. King's Cross was being decorated, and the engines were told they could be as well!

"I'm going to have streamers and flags on my sides!!" said Max.

"I'm going to have a big red banner on my tanks, and the royal crest on my buffer beam!" said Crovan.

"I'm going to have ribbons on my smoke deflectors!!" said Evening Star.

"What about you Scotsman?" asked Tornado.

"Decorations aren't dignified for express engines like us, Tornado," said Scotsman. 

Just then, Mallard puffed in, "I'll be wearing lovely, medallions on my smokebox!!"

"Not you too Mallard!" said Scotsman, and he puffed away.

Flying Scotsman puffed down the line, thinking to himself, Silly things!

Soon, the engines were all getting ready for the celebration. Max had flags and streamers wrapped around his funnel. Crovan had a big red banner on his tanks, and the royal crest on his buffer beam. Mallard was having his medallions put his smokebox lamp irons. Evening Star had lovely ribbons on her smoke deflectors. Even Barrow was being decorated, but he was shy about it.

"We could have a competition!" said Mallard, "It could be for the best dressed engine!"

Just then, Flying Scotsman came in, and puffed, "A competition? I'm bound to win any competition."

"You'll have to be decorated first," said Mallard, "This is the best dressed engine competition."

"Not me!" said Scotsman, "You'd never catch me looking so ridiculous!"

And he puffed away.

Soon, the engines went about their work, and were feeling very splendid. But not Scotsman. He was cross.

"Decorations aren't dignified!" he said, "Hmph, who cares about a stupid competition anyway?"

On his way back to King's Cross, a banner from a station came loose, and wrapped around Scotman's firebox, and blocked his eyes. 

"STOP!!" cried Scotsman, "I CAN'T SEE!!!"

"You can't stop!!" said his driver, "You're an express!!!"

Scotsman raced through all the stations, and soon, the wind blew the banner off his eyes, and was now stuck to his funnel.

Tornado was the last engine to be judged for the competition. Or so she thought. It was then, Scotsman came in, and he looked very cross.

"I thought you didn't want to be decorated," chuckled Max.

"I didn't!!" snapped Scotsman.

Just then, a metal was placed on his buffer.

"What's this?" he asked.

"It's the reward," said the judge, "You were unexpected, and your decorations bring the meaning of this celebration."

While he wouldn't admit it, Scotsman was secretly pleased. Silly Scotsman.