22. Dear Elaine

June 19th, 2009

Stripping the fame from me may be easier than you think, Elaine. Simply because I am as normal as you. I included some photos for you to reference to what I am discussing about.

Everything was not always glamorous. Before we became the famous family dynasty, we were a family that lived in the ghetto. In a two-bedroom home in Gary, Indiana, I grew up with eight siblings.

You could imagine how tough it was to share a small household

You could imagine how tough it was to share a small household. But we did. My father was a crane operator at a steel mill and my mother a Sears retail associate. My father wasn't the warmest. No hugs, kisses, or any other sign of love. Then when we became a music group, he got even colder. We weren't his children. We were his employees. He treated everything like business. I didn't even get to call him Father or Dad. It was almost as if I never had a father at all.

As much as I enjoyed the performing, I was very lonely

As much as I enjoyed the performing, I was very lonely. Terribly lonely. No one was there, besides my brothers. That bond was not enough to fulfill the loneliness. They were older and on a different wavelength I was on. I didn't have much say in anything during the Jackson Five years. I stayed very quiet and to this day, I still do. It is what I am used to.

Apart from performing, I love to draw, read, and write think pieces. I'd like to think if I didn't become a performer, I would be an author. Fictional stories are my favorite to write. I have hardcover books, but never published. I lock them in a safe. The public doesn't know about them and I intend to keep it that way.

I have two different sides to me. The man you see on stage is not the man you are talking to. I become something larger than life when I perform. I'm in a different world. But behind stage, I'm a regular person like you are. I can experience the same emotions as anyone else. I watch movies, walk around in my pajamas, normal things. I would hope that you can see that because I like you very much, Elaine. I would like to see you again and take you to all the places you have dreamed about. Think more about us before you think of running away.

With love,
Michael