━ ♡

"I don't often let complete strangers into my home, so consider yerself blessed."

Sero glanced over to his new soulmate and chuckled nervously. The walk from Seiyu wasn't the longest that the UA student had ever experienced but it was awkward nonetheless, only dragged on by the out-of-place jokes that both parties attempted. It certainly didn't help that Sans was still don in his Subway uniform, black shirt stained with old mayonnaise and tricolored hat ornamented with specks of various lost vegetables.

Sero couldn't help but gaze at Sans' greasy uniform with longing-- he had never got the sub he'd been looking forward to all during class.

"Well, not to make any assumptions, but I'm sure it would've happened at some point," Sero noted optimistically. "Might as well be an hour after we first met."  

"I suppose."

The two boys cut through a front yard, which oddly consisted of more rocks than grass (it stuck out sorely from the surrounding grass yet an obvious aesthetic choice). Sans barely stumbled over the pebbles, familiar steps in his day-to-day life, a jarring and impressive sight to Sans who hissed as his ankle rolled off of a brown mass.

The white-haired teen didn't even knock on the brown door (though who knocked on their own door?), swinging it open without missing a beat and removing his nonslip shoes on the front mat. Sans nodded his head and so Sero followed in his moments.

The first thing the black-haired pre-hero noticed about the house was the very familiar noises in the air. Kids. Sero huffed with relief he hadn't known he was searching for. He had a decently sized family himself, so Sans being around children would be a major plus in the future.

A nice scent mingled with the shouts of the children, that of noodles steaming for a family dinner.

"Sans, is that you?" A sweet voice called from what could only be presumed to be the kitchen. She seemed distressed, but not lost nor confused. "Can you help me with your siblings while I cook, sweetheart? Asriel away from the stove!"

"Sorry, Ma, I got company!" Sans grumbled in return. 

The air stilled, all clattering and little giggles coming to a halt. Sans, seemingly with a gift of premonition, sighed in irritation at what he knew was about to transpire. 

Sero's ears perked as he heard several pairs of footsteps against the bamboo wood floors. his back stiffened in anticipation and he let a polite smile settle over his face as they all came into view. Well-- almost in view. Most of the kids simply peeked around the doorway, keeping their bodies and a majority of their faces hidden away as they stared in curiosity.

All but one.

"Paps, don't--" Sans attempted futilely. 

"Now what do we have here?!" The younger boy cried with an accusing finger (he couldn't be that much younger though, maybe 12 or 13?). "An intruder upon our homelands?! Answer for your tresspassings or face the consequences!"

"I don't think you're using half those words right, bro," Sans shook his head but gave into the act anyways. "This is Hanta Sero. He's waved his white flag and is not on the enemy side."

Paps' eyes narrowed with suspicion, the other children watching in anticipation for the resolution to their elder brothers' conversation.

"Hm. Acceptable," Paps decided after a beat. He waved at the high school students as if they were a minor nuisance. "Continue, soldiers. Mother is making tempura and onigiri for dinner. I will inform her of our new arrival."

"Thanks, Paps," Sans managed a small smile, offering a wave to his other siblings (they all meekly waved in return before disappearing around the corner). "We'll be in my room, call for us when dinner's done or if Ma needs help."

Paps nodded proudly and bolted away with a war cry.

"He seems eccentric," was all Sero muttered.

"Ya think?" The other teen scoffed in reply, an unmistakable fondness settled in his eyes. "This way. My room's down the hall."