House of Innocence/House of Power

Nina and Eddie told the others everything that happened once Fabian showed back up, and the others updated them on how smart Alfie had been.

"I can't believe Alfie was the one who figured these things out," Eddie commented, awestruck.

"Same thing I said," Jerome agreed.

"And voted 'least likely to succeed' in school-I think not," Alfie announced proudly. "If only they could see me now."

"Anyway, it's a good thing Thoth won't kill us," Joy admitted, talking about Eddie and Nina's explanation of their confrontation with the Egyptian god Thoth.

"Your welcome," Eddie responded, acknowledging the fact it was only because of whom he and Nina were.

"Maybe it's time you all go home and get some rest," Nina suggested.

They agreed to that since it was already early the next morning. They'd been there for hours, so Eddie, Patricia, Jerome, Joy, and Alfie headed out. Before Fabian left, he had to talk with Nina. In order not to make things awkward in front of William, they talked out in the hall.

"Thanks for keeping me in Sibuna, despite the others," Fabian smiled.

"Majority rules, so," Nina replied, "it's the least I could do. But, it won't ever be the same, will it? Considering what you said, you can't devote as much energy into this as you used to, can you?"

Fabian looked down.

"Answer me, Fabian."

Fabian sighed. "No, I'm not going to be as devoted as the rest of you or how I used to be, but I'll do what I can."

"As long as you do that, I can handle it." Nina smiled at him.

"I sort of have an obligation to. After breaking your heart and then realizing I was still in love with you, I'd do anything for you."

Nina fell silent. Fabian admitted he was still in love with her. Though it was implied before on their date, it felt good to hear him say it.

"Is this the part where we kiss?" Fabian asked, snapping her out of her thoughts.

Nina gave a lighthearted smile. "Not just yet, Fabian. Good night."

She went back into her apartment, and Fabian headed home.

William was standing up, waiting for her to come back in, and Amber was there to the side.

"Nina-"

"-William, we don't-" Nina began, assuming he'd be talking about what he admitted earlier.

"This is something totally different than what you think I'm going to say," William interrupted, reading her mind. "You can't go back to the past again."

"Why..."

"Just-reasons. Reasons I can't tell you, but for your own good, just don't."

"William, if you don't give me a good explanation of why I shouldn't go back, I have no reason to take your word for it," Nina stated.

William tried to think of something. He couldn't give Nina the real reason. But he found he couldn't make up a lie on the spot and just stayed silent.

"Just get some sleep, William," Nina told him. "It's late, and there's no point in you trying to convince me not to go back to the past. And good night, Amber." Nina went into her room.

"Nighty-night, Neens!" Amber exclaimed before rushing over to William. She whispered furiously, "Tell me what you aren't telling Nina, or I swear you'll go to sleep and wake up in a dark, dark place."

William sighed. "Ok," he whispered back after hesitating a bit. "But you can't tell her this. And make sure Eddie doesn't know either. Neither the Chosen One nor Osirion can know."

"Got it, got it, just tell me!" Amber yell-whispered.

"My past isn't as innocent as I made it sound when I first explained it to Nina. I left out some details on purpose. You see, the Chosen One and Osirion, as far as anyone can tell, have unlimited potential. If they find out what they can do with time, and they find out some unfortunate happenings in my life, they might take advantage of that power and do more harm than good."

"What can they do with time?"

"Let's just say my entire life could be rewritten in the blink of an eye."

Amber swallowed, realizing Nina and Eddie did have potential. They could change anyone's life, even make it so they never existed. It's not only a matter of affecting someone's life through time travel; it's changing everything that ever happened in someone's life so that the original sequence never happened. It was pretty frightening.

Due to Amber's lack of response, William continued, "Power is a dangerous thing, Amber. I'm sorry to say, but your friends are dangerous people."

"I don't believe it." Amber whispered this aloud even though she knew, deep down inside, he wasn't lying. Like the way in the House of Horror, Eddie unleashed so much evil, and the necklace Nina wore allowed her to unleash so much power. Eddie and Nina were dangerous people. If they let power consume them, all hell could break loose.

"I think you do believe it," William said.

~~~~~
How was this chapter? I hope it was wonderful! It just makes me think of Voldemort/Quirrell's quote from Harry Potter, "There is no good and evil, only power, and those to weak to seek it." I don't know, just sprung up in my head upon writing this chapter.

Anyways...

What do you think some of William's not-so-innocent secrets are?

Do you think Nina and Eddie are dangerous?