Chapter 40

[Harry]

Harry sat nervously with the only other two trainees of his year in training room F. He could tell Chris was just as nervous as he was, even though Charms was his best subject. Even Amira Ferox, also from Ravenclaw like Chris, who reminded him much of Hermione- though she was a much more aggressive version of her- looked slightly pale.

They had very sufficient reasons to be anxious, it was their first-ever healing class.

Head Auror Gawain Robards came good-naturedly strolling into the room, accompanied by a short, slim, and confident-looking woman. She had long and wavy brown hair with streaks of dark blonde as highlights. Harry could practically hear Chris drooling.

They never saw Head Auror much, only at the beginning of important sessions to bring out guests or professors.

Robards cleared his throat. "Everyone, this is Healer Isadora Relancer from St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. She would be your trainer of Healing throughout your final year. Your performances would be watched and examined closely during the process, and she would be one of the examiners for your final tests as well."

He stroked his chin and continued. "Isadora is a well-respected Healer in the field, I trust you will respond to her with respect, too."

"Yes, sir," they chanted in unison.

Isadora beamed at the three of them and shook all of their hands. Chris was sweating three times his usual amount.

"I'll leave them to you, Isadora."

"Thank you, Gawain."

Robards closed the door behind them and the Healer faced them, clapping her hands.

"Well, then! No need to be so nervous, especially you," she pointed at Chris. Out of the corner of Harry's eye, he looked like he might faint.

"As you all know, Healing is a crucial part of Auror duties- during which you are constantly at high risk of getting wounded or injured. This is your third and final year, yes?"

The trio nodded.

Isadora continued on. "Healing is a delicate performance of magic and care. There is a reason why Healing is introduced so late during your training- it requires focus and dedication. One step wrong, you might end up jinxing yourself."

She laughed. It did not make Harry feel better.

"Over the courses, you will learn how to heal minor injuries and stabilize one's condition under serious attack. If all goes well, any trivial bruises or cuts will never appear over thirty seconds on your body ever again. Even if it's a huge bump on your forehead." Harry swore he saw her wink at him when she said it. Chris sniggered.

"You may notice this subject isn't marked as a practical course- that is because-" she sighed. "Yes, Ms. Ferox, is it?"

"Because Healing is a half-practical practice."

Isadora looked grave but Amira took no notice. "Yes, that is correct. I assure you, however, there will be plenty of opportunities to answer problems and tasks I hand to you to solve. Any questions?"

As usual, Amira Ferox's hand shot in the air.

"Yes, Ms. Ferox?"

"Healer Relancer-"

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Isadora suddenly cut in. "Call me Dora. I'm not that serious, I'm sure you can tell- sorry, Ferox? Do continue."

Harry toned out of whatever Amira Ferox was interrogating Isadora on. He tried to suppress the lump in his throat. She reminded him just too much of Tonks. Her jumpy and bright personality, her hair, even her name- he took a few deep breaths to regain himself.