21. The Hollywood's basement

Author's note

Dear readers , this chapter contains some disturbing events that could trigger a few individuals , please proceed with caution. This author's note only serves as a warning.

Hope you all enjoy the chapter

: )

~*~*~

"Vincent?"

He looks up , pausing and momentarily holding up the tea pot that's pouring the tea. They're back in his penthouse , its dark outside. Elizabeth is in a curious state of half awareness and pain but conscious nonetheless. Victoria was asleep , or so that's Vincent told her. Her time in hospital was enough to form a convention of insomnia induced nights. She hadn't slept in days , if Martha and Vincent were to be believed.

"Yes , Elizabeth?"

"I've never seen Lucas like that" She sighs and looks down to her fidgeting fingers , "that...was scary"

He doesn't respond and continues pouring her tea , in the flowered ceramic. Taking a seat besides her , he offers the warm comfort of his eyes and the boiled leaves of temporary pacification.

"It's not my place to-" He speaks up , but Elizabeth cuts in.

"Is Victoria in danger?"

"I-" He stops mid-sentence and sighs , "I honestly don't know , Elizabeth"

" Please Vincent , I need to know"

"Lucas...." He takes of his glasses and pinches the edge of his nose "He's always been....subdued and cryptic , ever since he got back from the Military"

"That wasn't cryptic , Vincent. That was pure rage. Psychotic rage , and he was smiling . why was he smiling? while trying to kill you ?"

" look , I know but being Enigmatic and Eccentric isn't something i haven't witnessed before. I'm used to it by now...but tonight was something else....I've only ever seen it once."

She narrows her eyes as she sips on the tea "Well , him being a psychopath isn't exactly news"

His eyes soften when its meets hers "You don't understand Elizabeth , this...whatever happened tonight was bad news"

"How? i thought he was being protective over his most valued asset - as he likes to put it. why do you think it was bad news ?"

He sighs again , "I could only hope that Victoria means no more than that to him , for her own sake- if it's something more , he would burn down the world for her , which is bad news for the rest of us. Being the center of attention of that man is hazardous" There is pain behind is brown irises , the amount of fervor in his eyes are that of a genuinely frightened man and not a high-end criminal , He grasps her bony wrists gently and rolls up the oversized long sleeves running his thumb over the pin pricks "This isn't the first time I've seen these..."

She places the tea cup on the nearby coffee table , and turns her torso to meet his eyes properly , slowly removing his hold on her wrists she raises her arm to caress his cheekbones , feeling the light stubble under the skin of her finger tips , he leans in. They stay in the moment for longer than expected , just feeling the broken comfort.

"i don't understand.."

"its bad " he whispers

"tell me , then. I'm here "

He doesn't look up , taking a deep breath he composes himself and starts "I remember him leaving on his eighteen birthday , he disappeared leaving only a note for an explanation that he moved to London and the same year , i found out he had joined the army . i don't know what he went through in there, but it was enough to turn him into what he is today. He was in Russia afterwards however , That much i know for sure , and this is where i assume he picked up a hobby" He glances at the bruises on her arm caused by the needles "He came back though , on Christmas eve , he had these faded pin pricks when he did. He saved me that night, Elizabeth."