33. Vodka is the new Tea

"do we have any advances on where David is?"

"He may be a grieving man but by no means is he stupid , his skills surpass any normal assassin. He cannot be traced , but he is no ghost either , he will slip."

Vincent and Elizabeth walk through the , her pushing metal wired trolley , scanning the contents of the shopping list. Vincent keeping in tow and throwing items in the trolley as he thinks fit and thoroughly disturbing the people in the following lanes. Elizabeth considers protesting as ordering consumables in their coloured order is something that brings her peace , nonetheless she enjoys his company , they had finally moved on from the bakery section , after spending a good twenty minutes gathering around both of their comfort foods. Cupcakes , donuts and cookies lay unorganized in the trolley.

Elizabeth does not like being alone.

She craves the solitude but is sometimes terrified of it. Occasionally , whenever she finds herself alone in a room , she spends her time in with a book in hands or murdering boredom with sewing in the confines of Vincent's office. Listening to him attending various calls , it hardly makes sense to her-but his voice brings a sense of protection she longs for in loneliness.

David disappeared right after the funeral , with Kendra. His location untraced and his clothes in his house gone. Elizabeth and Vincent decided not to chase him , as he needed his space.

"Vincent?"

He turns to her from the meat section.

"Do you think you can introduce me to the team you are working with? For finding my father?"

Vincent walks over to her , and holds out his hand. She subconsciously places her hand in his-which previously while-knuckle gripped on the handle , now is traces between the edges of her fingers. A simple gesture of momentary comfort , that calms her nerves.

"Elizabeth-"

"No...Vincent , every day goes by , I forget. I forget what a cruel man he is. I am fading , Vincent. Like a picture in a fairytale book. I need something, i need that fire back. I do enjoy this domesticity with you , you....are my sole source of ease" She offers him a sad smile "It feels like a luxury i can't afford , an indulgence of guilt. It should feel like i deserve it , but i know i don't. The more i keep pushing it down , the more i keep coddling in this labyrinth of unattended chaos, the more i keep fading away. I'm losing myself , Vincent...i need to stop him. He must be stopped , i will not give him the power to pick me apart petal by petal , i am no daisy"

He smiles and leans in , placing a feather light kiss on her forehead , "We start tomorrow , eight 'o' clock"

Elizabeth returns the gesture by pecking his cheek , mindfully.

"but , we do have tonight don't we?" He looks over onto the contents of the trolley "I think we need to return to the cookies section"

Elizabeth laughs , "Oh i think the alcohol section might have something in store for us"

Vincent gasps in counterfeit shock , placing a hand dramatically on his chest "Darling , Im British. I only drink tea"

"Would you like sugar with that tea or grenades?"

"I think I'm in the mood for Rifles today "

They both burst out laughing , as onlookers cast a suspicious eye. Vincent's laugh gradually slows down , and he regards her with loving scrutiny , his eyes soft in the lighting of the supermarket.

"Oh for God's sake" He looks around , exasperated.

"What?" Her own smile turns to a frown.

He looks around wildly and seized around by a new energy. He makes a lunge for the display of children's magazine on their glass stand, bright , lurid things of basic colours and illustrations, Much to her bemusement , he tears out a freckled ring from the front of the magazine and tears the cellophane in triumphant. Running back towards Elizabeth he gets down on one knee.