Chapter 67 - Fine

Anyone could tell that something was growing between Daryl and Louise. It was apparent from the moment you laid eyes on them that the spark between them was growing but the moment it was brought into conversation with either party, it was shrugged aside and forgotten about. Perhaps it was because their feelings were complicated or maybe, it was simply because discussing their personal life wasn't something they enjoyed - either way, the topic was avoided.

Daryl sat on the porch steps outside Louise's house with his bike in front of him and a wrench in his hand. He had spent countless hours fixing the dents that The Saviors had created but never once complained; having his bike back meant more than anyone knew. Louise's bow lay next to him on the wood - he had found it on their search for the girls in the hours prior and hadn't had the opportunity to return it to her.

"Hey" Louise said softly, shutting the front door behind her and dropping onto the step beside him. A cigarette hung out of her mouth and she sucked on the nicotine fondly. "I see you got your bike back"

"Yeah" he grumbled, throwing his tool beside the wheel and nodding towards her. "Got another one of those?"

She smiled at him and held the carton open, allowing him to retrieve a small stick from the interior.

"Thanks"

"Those people you met, the ones in the forest, they took it from you?" she asked, gesturing towards the motorcycle.

"Yeah"

"You saved them right?" she queried. Daryl sighed and looked at the floor. "Sorry, it's who you are Daryl. We're stuck with that"

"Nah, we ain't" he said, shaking his head and flicking the ash from the tip of his fag. "I shoula killed 'em"

"You did what you thought was right, no shame in that"

She tossed her blunt cigarette to the floor and squashed it with her boot.

"Those people, the ones that took you. Carol said you saved her" Daryl asked, looking at her. "What'd they do to ya?"

"Nothin' I didn't do to them, tenfold" She shook her head and ran a hand through her hair. "You know...I've killed people before but this time, it just, it felt different...I don't know"

He watched her for a moment as she let out a heavy sigh.

"I found this in the woods" he said, picking up her bow. "Thought you'd want it back"

Her eyes lit up. Gratefully, she took it from his hands and ran her fingers across the scratched varnish. "I thought I'd lost it...thanks"

"S'alrigh'"

"So, you got your bike back and I got my bow. Great day for us" she chuckled, leaning it against the steps to her left.

Daryl turned to face her and placed a hand on her knee. "When they took yer, I thought...I thought that you-"

"I know" she sighed, placing her hand on top of his. "Me too...but I'm okay. Just like you said, alright? We're all fine"

He ran the tip of his fingers over her stitches on her forehead. "You sure you're fine?"

Louise smirked. "I'm always fine"

Deep down, she knew that she wasn't. Louise was far from fine but she couldn't admit it to herself, let alone somebody else.

She squeezed his hand tightly and offered him a small, false smile as Denise and another female jogged towards them.

"Hey, I need your help" she said, slightly breathless.

"Everything alright?" Lou asked, letting go of Daryl's hand and standing up.

Their doctor held out a small map. A little circle had been drawn around a building at the edge of a nearby town.

"Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. I saw it on my way in from DC, when I had no idea where I was going" she tapped on the paper. "It's just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if it's really an apothecary, they have drugs"

"How do you know they still got 'em?" Daryl asked.

"It isn't that far, I just wanna check" she said, gesturing towards the Latino lady that had accompanied her. "And you guys and Rosita aren't out scavenging or pulling shifts"

"We'll go"

"I wanted to check" she said. "I just wanna help"

"How much time you spent out there?"

"None"

Daryl rolled his eyes. "Forget it"

"I can ID the meds, I know how to use a machete now. I've seen roamers up close. I'm ready" she insisted.

"You good with this?" Daryl asked Rosita.

She shook her head. "No"

Denise sighed. "I'll go alone if I have too"

"You'll die alone" Lou said.

"I'm asking you guys to make sure that I don't"

Lou closed her eyes tightly. "I really don't feel comfortable with this Denise"

"Well, I'm not babysitting her by myself" Rosita stated. Denise pleaded with them, a stern look on her face that told them 'I'm not taking no for an answer'. Reluctantly, Louise nodded her head and picked her bow up.

"Fine. Lets go then"