Chapter 7 - Sorry girl

Lou kept her eyes fixated on the trail below her, hoping she was indeed going the correct way. Tracking Button's was harder than she thought, given she normally tracked squirrels and rabbits but she didn't let her own doubt phase her. Doubt got you killed.

"This way" she mumbled as she bent down towards the ground and stretched out her good arm gesturing towards beautiful horse that stood surrounded by walking corpse's. Daryl noticed the urgency in her voice as she once again grabbed the knife from her boots and raced towards the damsel in distress. He followed her slim figure, pulling the cross bow from his chest and readying himself for action. He watched as her tartan over-shirt bounced of the back of her legs, slightly loosening itself from its once-thought secure knot at the front of her waist. She seemed to notice, gripping each sleeve and pulling it tightly, causing a slight moan to escape her mouth as her shoulder jolted.

"Ya alright?" he asked, slight concern spilling through his voice. She nodded courteously at him, a small unconvincing smile appearing on her face as she turned to face him. As she did so Aaron fell to the ground, a panicked scream escaping his mouth as he tried to free himself from the hungry walker grabbing at the bottom of his trousers.

"Shit" Lou whispered, spinning on her heel and racing back to help him. She raised her foot from the ground, prepared herself for the shock it would give her shoulder and rammed her foot through the skull of the dead human, resulting in masses of brain matter spilling from its eye sockets and create a puddle beneath him. "You good?"

Daryl helped Aaron from the ground, pulling him to his feet and staring in awe at the mutilated body on the ground. None of them found this experience particularly fulfilling but they couldn't deny the satisfaction of taking out a walker. Unfortunately for Lou, she could have only saved one being, and making sure Aaron was okay, somehow seemed more important than making sure the gracious horse lived to die another day. Still, the least she could do was put the brave creature out of her misery.

Slowly she took the gun from Daryl's holster and made her way down the hill towards the struggling beauty. The walking dead surrounded her, dipping their filthy hands into her warm body and claiming her bloody organs as their own. Maliciously they stuffed them into their mouths, not satisfied with only one bite. Lou inhaled a deep breath, ignoring the scared girl that was screaming inside her mind and accurately took out each of the six walkers that consumed the horse. Each bullet seemed to get louder than the last. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. As she got to the last, she walked up beside it, allowing it to watch her as she pressed the barrel of the gun against the forehead of the rotting body and angrily dragged her finger towards her. As she pushed the trigger the bullet sharply made its way through the brain of the walker, sending blood shooting out the back of his head, leaving a rather generous exit wound. The body dropped to the ground next to the whimpering horse before Lou crouched down and placed her hand firmly on the neck of the animal, allowing her one final moment of human decency.

"Sorry girl" she whispered, before the pulling the trigger for the last time.

Not sure how I feel about this chapter guys, I do feel bad for Buttons though.

- Al