Chapter 17 - I'm already dead

Lou sat in the chair opposite Deanna, her eyes fixated on the ceramic cup in her hands. It had been a while since a warm drink had made its way down her throat so she made sure to savor the moment. She cherished the caffeine fueled liquid. The heat that radiated through her cold fingers as she grasped the mug. The two sweet sugars that had been stirred into the mixture and the bitterness of the coffee granules. Of course, her life was bitter enough.

Her eyes flickered between the woman in front of her and the substance between her soft fingers. She could feel the anger radiating through her as she was forced to listen to the ramblings of a seemingly insane woman. The words that escaped her mouth were nothing but a fools literature. As far as Lou could tell, Deanna had lost control.

"I cannot believe you are actually considering this"

"I'm not considering anything Louise, it's already done" Deanna said, supping her cup of tea and placing it back onto the over-arrogant saucer.

"You seriously put Rick – a stranger – in charge?" Lou spat, not even trying to hide the disgust in her voice.

"He knows what happens out there – what this world is now"

"Yeah and so do I!" Lou pulled herself up from the leather chair, slamming her hands down on the arms as she did so. Her head shook from side to side as she placed her right hand on her forehead and let out a harsh sigh. Her mouth hung open in shock as she laughed at the delusional former leader of Alexandria. She paced around the recliner, her annoyance clearly visible to anyone with the smallest bit of common sense.

"Look, I need you out there with Aaron" Deanna walked towards her "Not here barking orders!"

Lou smirked in disbelief at the woman before her. "Fine – but when all this goes to shit don't come running to me" she spat the words at her, each syllable sharper than the last. With a grunt she gripped the fabric of her jacket and tugged it from the back of the furniture.

"I need your help with this Lou" Deanna called after her as the raven haired girl stormed away from the office.

"Tough shit!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The concrete steps of Deanna's building, although slightly corroded, created a small echo as Lou paced down them. The rubber sole of her boots scraped across any stray shards of brick that lay across the entrance, allowing them to fly for a few seconds before dropping to the floor once again, a mere foot away from they were before. The knife in her boot pressed against her ankle as she walked, giving her smallest bit of comfort in knowing that she was protected. Although the walls of Alexandria provided slight shelter from the outside world, living without some ford of weapon was dangerous, even for those most skilled. Metal fences may keep out the walking dead but the alive would definitely figure out a way in if it was demanded.

The though of leaving had always occurred to her, the benefits of surviving solo. Never having to mourn those that had attached themselves to her. Sometimes being alone is easier, and as she tightened her raven haired ponytail she considered the idea.

"Careful woman - learn t'watch were yer goin'"

She recognized the voice. The deep southern accent rang out around her and as she looked up from his muscular chest she couldn't help but fail to catch her breath. His deep blue eyes pierced into her green orbs as her voice failed her. Although incredibly handsome, he was still just another mouth to feed, another person to look out for and she hated that.

"Nice. Your reputation proceeds you" she snapped, pushing him away from her and attempting to storm away, only to be stopped as his arm flew out in front of her waist.

"The hell yer just say t' me?" Daryl snarled, his fingers releasing the strap around his torso that held his cross bow. Lou backed away from him, a small smirk on her face as she listened to him raise his voice.

"You need to back the hell away from me"

"Or what? Can't do nothin' with tha' broken bone of yours"

"I can still kick your redneck ass!" She shouted, civilians on Alexandria stopping and watching the argument unfold. Daryl scoffed at the small girl, his head shaking as he moved his face closer to hers.

"Like to see yer try. Yer woulda bled out without me"

"Then maybe you should have let me"

"Yer think i'd let yer die out there?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowed as he pointed towards the woods. "That I'd just leave ya?"

She didn't respond to the archer. Her eyes landed on the ground at his feet as she brought her left hand to the small knife in her pocket. "I died a long time ago, Daryl - leaving me out there - would have been the best thing you ever did"

It took me forever to write this chapter guys!
I really wanted to make sure it did Lou justice so I hope you like it.

- Al