Chapter 100 - You're gonna make me count?

"Why can't I come with you?" Nicole asked. She had grown accustomed to listening to Lou's requests, just as she used to for her own mother, and though she often hated the outcome of her pleading, she didn't wine as she once would've. No, she'd definitely grown up in the past few months - a trait that she silently hoped the hunter had noticed too.

Louise slung her bow over the shoulders and closed the front door behind them, following the young teenager down the steps. "For the same reason Rick won't let Carl come. We can't focus if we're worried about you guys. You need to stay here and help him protect this place"

She didn't argue. It was no use. A simple nod and sigh was enough to inform the duo that the conversation was over. Louise patted he shoulder before gesturing towards Carl, who was standing on the porch, holding his little sister and taking to his dad.

Daryl was waiting at the gates when Lou arrived, his bike standing upright near the wall. The crossbow he adored sat on the leather seat, shining in the blaring summer sun and the keys were in the ignition, though the vehicle remained turned off. The group had to move quickly. The longer they waited, the more time the Saviors had to regroup, so the second they had had the chance, Rick rounded up all available fighters and each community went over their part of the plan - attack the outposts one by one, corner the survivors in the main building of the Sanctuary, fill the surrounding grounds with the horde that had been left on the highway days ago and hopefully, beat Negan at his own game. In hindsight, it sounded a lot simpler than it was

Every time Daryl looked at Louise and saw the bloodshot in her eye, he hated that Rick couldn't say no. The archer had argued with him about her place in the stages of their war and in the end neither could find the strength to say no to her. They all knew she was in pain but her vision had returned to normal and she was adamant that it looked a tone worse than it actually was; of course that was a complete lie. It looked exactly how it felt but a little pain was worth it if it meant watching Negan's army fall.

"You should be stayin' 'ere" Daryl grumbled as she dropped her weapons through the open window of her car and onto the passenger seat.

"We both know that's not happening. There's no way I'm sitting on my arse when I could be out there, fighting with you guys"

"Michonne's stayin'"

"Michonne is badly injured" she sighed. "I have a couple of bruises"

He huffed. "Yer incredibly difficult. Y'know tha'?"

Try as she might, she couldn't hide the smirk that appeared on her face. "Yeah, yeah I know that"

The two locked eyes, both rolling them at the other before he wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head. "Just be careful"

"I'll see you in a few hours"

He watched her head towards the armoured car and slide into the drivers seat. He didn't tell her how scared he was to have to watch her go into a battle that a large number of them weren't going to come out of. Or how his hands shook as he let go of hers. Daryl knew that no matter how much he loved her, it wasn't enough to save her life...and that scared the crap out of him. Yes, she could hold her own...but she'd always put someone else first...and he knew that one day, that would probably get her killed.

But instead of stopping her, instead of keeping her from the fight, he let her go.

Car after car piled out of Alexandria. Each vehicle was covered in slats of metal fencing and wooden bars - anything that could be used as a barricaded between a bullet, the engine and the people inside. Louise followed Rick towards the Sanctuary, heart racing but hands surprisingly steady. Her foot was practically on the floor and even then, she barely kept up with the sheriff as he raced down the abandoned roads. It didn't take long before they ran through the gates of Negan's home, destroying the integrity of their reinforced walls.