chapter 15; no more secrets

Soft morning light warmed your bare skin, making you cuddle in even closer to the chest you were still tightly pressed against. As you awaken, your body becomes aware of it's explorations from the night. You feel light like you might just float right off the bed. A tender soreness pulses between your legs.

You rub your hand against Arthur's warm chest, taking in the muscular curves and looking up to his peaceful, stern sleeping face. His messy hair was fallen back on the pillow, giving you a chance to appreciate his truly handsome face. He breathes deeply, your hand rising with each breath as he begins to blink his eyes open.

Just like you, a few moments pass as he takes in the memories of previous night and the girl he's still holding in his arms. A sleepy smirk stretches across his face as he looks down at you.

"'Mornin." He grumbles, happy to see you but not quite ready to be awake yet.

You smile back at him, kissing his whiskery cheek. "Good morning." You say sweetly, your voice light and happy.

His hand gently combs through your hair, his fingertips occasionally softly brushing against your forehead. You don't want this peace to end, wishing you could lie here forever, never having to face the cruel world just outside the door. You perk up, placing your chin against him and looking up with doe eyes.

"Last night was amazing." You admit with a big smile and he smiles back with closed eyes. "I just want you to answer one thing. What does this mean for us?"

He opens his eyes again, focusing in on you while rubbing the sleep form his face.

"I mean..." You push yourself to a sitting position, using the corner of the bedspread to cover your bare chest. "If we're going to be together, I want to tell the others. I don't want to sneak around anymore." You fiddle with the lip of the blanket while pondering. "What I want to know is... am i your girl now or are you just wanting a partner to fool around with?"

He eyes you, the morning light making his blue eyes sparkle. There's a long pause before he speaks, making you scared of what his answer will be.

"Course you're my girl now." He said with a shrug as if it was obvious. "I'm not much of a touchy feelings man but... I love you and care about you." His hand reaches up to your back, gently rubbing it. "I don't want you worryin' bout Mary no more. I'm gonna take care of you from now on." His fingers trace your spine up and down, sending shivers over you.

Leaning back into his touch, you close your eyes with a grin on your face. The last few days have been an emotional rollercoaster and it felt good to finally be at peace. Hearing Arthur reassure that you were his and he was yours helped put your worries and doubts behind you. You stand up from the bed, throwing Arthur's shirt on and cross over to the china cabinet. You grab the photo of Mary from the shelf and reach into the pocket of his jeans to retrieve his little box of matches. You hand them both to Arthur, returning to your seat beside him.

He looks at the picture and then at you. Without hesitation, he pops the picture from the frame and lights a match, burning his last tangible memory of his former lover. You didn't need him to physically burn the picture but it was a strong symbol that from here on out, you were fully devoted to each other. Nobody else mattered.

Except for maybe Dutch.

A loud knock sounded at the door, followed by the booming voice of the gang leader.

"You two mind letting go of each other long enough to come join the real world?"

Both of you chuckle, quickly standing to get dressed and ready to meet the irritable man outside. Arthur takes the lead, opening the door. Dutch had stepped back, leaning against the railing of the stairwell.