chapter 22; have faith

~ Trigger Warning ~
Death, Child Loss

The men had been up since first light preparing equipment and ammunition. You had woken up in your own time, dressing in black pants and dark leather chaps, a new hat and several bandoliers, loaded and ready to go. You'd even taken the time to clean your boots and spurs. Finally looking like a proper outlaw, you join the men outside where they were finishing loading their horses. You meet Arthur at Taima's side.

"Hey uh... you'll need this." He hands you a red bandana patterned with white paisley's. Before you can take it from his hands, he ties it around your neck for you, lifting your hair out from underneath it. Almost like a high society woman receiving a new diamond necklace.

"I can't convince to stay home?" He asks one last time, resting his hand in the small of your waist.

"Nope." You wiggle your hand into his and he rolls his eyes at you.

"Stubborn." He groans and kisses you.

Dutch whistles loudly to gather everybody's attention. He's stood on the front porch and quickly a crowd surrounds him.

"Listen up everybody. I know we're all scared of what the future holds. Today is going to be a huge day for us, once we have the money we need, we'll be on our way to Tahiti. The life we have always dreamed of will finally be a reality. Have faith!" Your fearless leader boldly shouts in attempt to strike inspiration into his families hearts.

"Let's move out!" He waves, setting everything into motion once more.

You mount your horse and the group storms out of camp, horses at full speed as if they were already on the run from the law. Once out of the trees, Dutch slows the pace, riding between you and Arthur.

"We need to leave... forever. We've been doing well, making money but for us all to leave together we need enough for a boat. Now I found a friendly ship captain, he's willing to take us to Australia, or Tahiti. We just need to pay for passage and give him money for land when we get there. No questions asked. We will disappear. Be reborn." Dutch explains.

"Well, where the hell is Tahiti?" Arthur snorts.

"South Pacific. An untouched paradise."

"Who lives there?" You ask.

"Tahitians, I guess." Dutch states with a shrug.

It doesn't take long to get into Saint Denis. Once over the bridge, the group slows to a steady gait, not wanting to draw any more attention than necessary. You ride up in front of the yellow city bank and Dutch motions for the group to stop.

"So we are gonna rob that place?" Arthur asks

"Well, I didn't think we was fixing the plumbing. I don't know if you have noticed, but we are on the clock. I reckon we got a few days before the Pinkertons show and then, well, we're done. Now, we need money... Bronte said this place has got money. Come on." Dutch swings off his horse and pulls his bandana up.