01 ★ The Preparation

O N E
T H E   P R E P A R A T I O N
———————————————————

ADOPT, DON'T SHOP!

Are you planning on adopting a new puppy?

If so, you need to prepare yourself ahead of time. Here is some important information that you'll need to know before adopting your furry friend!

1. If you are adopting from a shelter, and you want an older dog, get an older dog. Most older dogs will not be adopted because of their age, and they will die in the shelter. So they really need a family so that they can die happy, not in the confinements of a cage at a shelter. But, if you want a young, fresh puppy, get them! It's your choice.

2. You have to be committed. Having a dog is like raising a child. You can't just stop caring from them because you get bored or you think that it's just too much work. You'll find that once you get into a routine of caring for your dog, it'll be much easier then the first few months!

3. Educate yourself. Is the type of dog that you're going to get big or small? Do they prefer the outside or inside? Is your home big enough for the dog as it grows and gets older? You can't just go to the shelter right away and get a dog and then not be prepared or have no education on the breed.

Common Supplies
& Explanations

- A dog bed.
     Get a dog bed that will last the dog throughout their life (unless it gets destroyed, of course). Make sure that it's washable and dryable. And don't get a puppy-sized bed! Get one that your dog will grow into (let's say that your puppy is a golden retriever - get a bed that a fully-grown golden retriever would fit on). This will save you money!

- A cage.
     Like the dog bed, get one that your dog will grow into. I'd also recommend metal cages so that they last longer. Make sure it's big enough for your dog! You want them to be comfortable in there.

- A collar, harness, and leash.
     Of course you'll need these! After you figure out a name for your furry friend, go to the pet store and get their name and your contact information engraved on a tag so that if your dog runs away, they can be returned if found. Make sure that it's a durable collar, harness, and leash, and I'd recommend getting them all as the same color. Also make sure that they are the correct sizes!

- Food and water bowls.
You can get whatever type you want, but I don't recommend the shiny metal kind. Most dogs don't like the texture while eating/drinking. Make sure that the bowls are durable so that they'll last. I'd also recommend getting a stand to put the bowls in so that your dog won't slide the bowl around the floor and have to struggle.

- Toys
Toys are very important. Get the chewable bones, squeaky toys, etc.. Just whatever your puppy can chew on, as long as it's not something valuable in your home! Also so that your dog won't be bored and can play with something!

- Treats
These will be used for training and rewarding. I'd recommend the smaller treats because your puppy dog really won't need a large bone just for going potty outside or sitting on command!

- Grooming Supplies
Alright, I'm just going to say this—get your puppy used to the grooming supplies so that they get into a routine of using the stuff. My dog, Brutus, hides when we bring out the nail clippers, so the vet has to do it when they can. Here is a list of the grooming supplies you'll need:
• Nail Clippers
• Doggy Shampoo
• Brush (one that won't hurt them)
• A bath twice a month

- Cleaning Supplies
If your dog isn't trained, then there will be accidents. You can't get mad at them though, because their just a puppy, and they don't know any better! Here are the cleaning supplies:
• Puppy Pads
• Pet Stain/Odor Removers
• Enzymatic Cleaners

Preparing Your Home

- I'd recommend setting up some NetVue cameras in your living room, kitchen, and other places in your home that you feel that is necessary. So when your going somewhere that you can't take your dog with you, you can check up on them with the NetVue app. We have these cameras all over my house and they work pretty well!

- Store things that your puppy shouldn't be chewing on, like cleaning supplies, shoes, etc. up in high places so that they can't get to the stuff.

- Hide wires/cords so that they aren't chewed.

- Store any medicine in a cabinet or somewhere where your dog can't reach.

- Store treats/unopened toys in a cabinet somewhere where your dog can't reach. I'd recommend creating a space for all of your puppy's supplies so that finding stuff will be easier.

- Set up a space for your puppy's cage before adopting them. This will help them figure out the cage's location easier.

- Set up gates in rooms where you don't want your dog being in. Make sure it's high enough so that they can't jump over the gate! I used to have a gate that prevented my dog Brutus from going into the kitchen while we were cooking in the kitchen so that he didn't get burned or harmed.

And that's it for this chapter!

I hope that you enjoyed. Please click the vote button if you enjoyed and this helped! Remember, you don't have to, lol!