4: Stay Awake

Siddharth's POV

Avneet was slowly sinking into the swamp and there was something I had to do about it. I had only known this girl for a week but I'd developed such an attachment to her, I would risk my life for her if it mattered.

As I kept thinking of a way to get her out and continuously assuring her she wouldn't die, a grapevine caught my eye.

I ran over and tore a stem from the vine. One stem alone wouldn't be able to sustain her weight so I collected a bunch of the long, flexible stems and tied them together, making it a good enough rope.

Siddharth: Avneet! Stay still! I'm throwing a rope. Hold on to it!

By now, the mud had reached up to her shoulders and was slowly reaching her neck. I threw the rope over in the swamp and she shrugging off all the mud grabbed it tightly. 

Avneet shouted, "I have caught the rope! Pull me back fast! I'll drown in a matter of minutes!"

I tirelessly pulled her to the very edge of the swamp. Flinching and squirming through her way, she kept fighting and tried to keep her head above the reach of the mud. Now, the mud had reached the top of her neck, touching her chin.

Avneet: Pull me now! Jerk me up!

With all my energy, I pulled the rope holding Avneet up and she fell out of the swamp but the impact sent her tumbling and she fell right above me. I was below her. She was right up. And our faces were nearly touching.

 And our faces were nearly touching

Avneet's POV

Breathless from all the pushing and pulling in the mud, I didn't have the energy to get up and we stayed in the position.

His face was merely inches away from mine and I looked over all his godly features once again. His brown hair was now sexily messed up and strands spread over his face. His deep brown eyes shone in the light of the sun and his stunning face was a beauty to look at.

I smiled a little as he looked right up at me, staring at me. Just then, I felt the world around me circle and I fell unconscious right on top of Siddharth.

I woke up a few hours later and I was being carried by Siddharth. The surroundings were completely different now. Before, we were in the middle of dense dark green trees and wild forests but now it was different. 

There were still the trees and the shrubs but this time, it looked groomed, like someone was taking care of them. I nudged on his shoulder and he looked up at me.

Siddharth: You're awake?

Avneet: Looks like it.

With a tiny smile on his face he gently let me down and asked.

Siddharth: Do you think you can walk yourself?

Avneet: I think so, and umm...., thank you.

Avneet: For everything. Back at the swamp. For carrying me here and just preventing me from having a total breakdown this week.

He just smiled at me and kissed my forehead in return. My heart skipped a beat and I could feel the blush creeping up my face. My breath hitched and I stared right into his eyes but our little moment was cut off by the mass cheering of people.

Avneet: OMG! Is that people?

Siddharth: I think so. Let's hurry!

We ran to the direction of the sound but instead of seeing a group of people chattering around, there was nothing. Only plain grass and dirt but right beside it, stood a litchi tree. Among the green leaves, the light red skin of the fruits shone.

Overjoyed at the sight of food, Siddharth rushed to the tree and said:

Siddharth: I'll collect the food, you fell unconscious remember?

He was just collecting the litchis when I felt the swords being pointed on to my neck and a loud voice command. "Boy and girl! Both of you are under arrest for attempting to steal from Queen Mallika's royal garden!"

I exchanged a glance with Siddharth who also had two guards on his sides pointing spears to his neck. 

In that moment, I knew that this would end badly.

And it did.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Let me know what you though about this.

Vote and comment.

Love lots, Kyra.