Chapter One

Madelyn's PoV
May 2013

The last serious relationship I was in ended almost a year ago, and I haven't been intrigued by any human with testicles ever since. But suddenly, this sarcastic and devilishly handsome mechanic steps into my life, and my mind is running a million miles a minute. All it takes is one guy to send me back into my teenage years, where big hair and neon colored pants were the cool thing to have.

I think I fooled him, or at least put him in his place. After I told him to watch his tools, he seemed pretty taken aback. Apparently he hasn't been rejected much, and by the looks of him, I can tell why. I was hoping when I walked in there and saw him laughing that by some God loved chance, he wouldn't be a jerk. Maybe, there'd be an attractive, decent guy that I showed interest in. But no, as previously stated, he's a sarcastic and self confident jerk.

I unzip my boots, tossing them into my closet, hanging up my jacket as well. When I moved here yesterday, I thought surely to God, I can have some normal, average neighbours. Sure they're average; average jerks. I turn on all of the lights in my place, revealing an apartment filled with boxes. I sigh, running a hand through my hair, but move to my bedroom.

I change into leggings, keeping my black and white, thin striped tank top on, just replacing my blazer with a black knit cardigan. I tie my hair into a knot at the back of my head as I walk out to the kitchen, opening the fridge for something to eat. Nothing. I suppose if I'd bought groceries before I moved that would have helped, but I guess I just never thought last night or this morning because I just ate out. I sigh, shutting the f ridge as my stomach growls. I could go out to eat, but I just got into comfy clothes.

Just as I'm debating whether wearing real pants are worth it or not for food, I hear a knock at my door. Furrowing my eyebrows, I walk over, and check the peep hole. There, standing on the other side, is the mechanic. My heart skips a beat, but my mind groans. I could just ignore him and pretend I went to sleep, but I doubt he'd fall for that. No one goes to sleep at 8:00 anymore.

I open the door, and he looks up from a plastic container filled with something. He smiles, and I smile apprehensively back.
"Hi?" I say in a questioning tone, raising my eyebrows as I lean against my doorway.
"Uh, I have some leftover chicken pot pie. I figured that since I haven't seen you here before, that must have meant you just moved here. And that means you probably didn't but any food, so I thought I'd offer it to you," He babbles, and I nod, pursing my lips. He winces. "That was not the way to go about that, was it?"
"Nope," I say, laughing and shaking his head. He laughs nervously, scratching the back of his neck. He holds it out and shrugs.
"Well, I mean, it's good food. If you want it, that is," He adds, and K furrow my eyebrows at him.
"So I'm just going to take food from a man I don't even know the name of?" I question, and I can see him freeze. He then holds his hand out, smiling.
"Sorry, the name's Dean," He says, and I shake his hand.
"Nice to meet you Dean," I reply, smiling back. I close my eyes, holding up my hand. "I'm sorry for how I acted earlier, that carburetor has been jingling for a long time, and I just got really angry at it this morning, and it kind of came out on you."
He waves his hand in dismissal. "You're fine," He replies, but then he thrusts the chicken pot pie towards me again. Since it's closer, it's scent hits my nose, making my mouth water and my stomach growl. "But the only way I'll forgive you is if you take the pot pie," He adds, and I sigh, rolling my eyes and taking the container. He smiles.
"Fine, I'll wash the dish and out it by your door in the morning," I sigh, and begin to close the door. He puts his foot in to stop it. I open the door so I don't squish his foot, and raise my eyebrows at him, smilingly smally at him.
"Actually, the landlord doesn't like things laying around the hall. Could you drop it off at the shop tomorrow when you're done work?" He suggests, and I nod, secretly knowing what he's doing.
"I think I could," I say with a nod, and he smiles.