Chapter Five

August 2013

"Dean, we're here!"

He jumps up from his sleeping position, slumped up against the window with sunglasses on his face. My smile widens as I look around, the place just as I remember it. It's early morning when we pull into the small town, the sun just rising and tainting the sky with reds and purples and oranges, like water color paints accidentally spilling across a canvas and mixing together. Seagulls can be seen soaring through the sky, appearing as black silhouettes in the dim light.

Dean gazes out of the window, lifting his sunglasses up on his forehead. Move Together by James Bay plays softly on the radio, a perfect soft song for a perfect soft morning. I roll down my window, taking in a deep breath to smell in the Maine beach air; a mix between salt, seaweed, and flowers mixing all together in my nose, wrapping around me in a comforting blanket I never want to leave.

I look down at the clock, and discover that it's only 6:00 in the morning. I try to think about what we could do, when an idea pops in my head. Dean gives me a confused look as I round down one corner, stopping by a little hut that has a sign reading "Rosie's Hot Dogs." I get out of the car, opening the door, letting now six month old Dixon jump out. I call for Dean to come out as well, and I grab my Polaroid camera from the back seat.

We walk down a long stretch of pavement, until we stop at slippery rocks. When I turn around, Dean has a video camera raised. I smile and laugh, waving at him in the camera, throwing my arms up in the air.
"We made it!" I exclaim, and I see Dean smile from behind the camera.

I turn back around, walking down the very small stretch of beach, an array of boats lined up along a shard just to my left. I scan the sea shore until I find the perfect rock; it's a little smaller than the size of my palm, almost perfectly circular and completely smooth. I toss it in the air and catch it, getting a feel for it's weight, before standing at the ocean water with my legs slightly parted. I use the same motion that you'd use when throwing a frisbee, and watch as the rock skips across the water five times before sinking to the bottom. I turn around to Dean, who's taken a seat on the pavement, camera raised.
"Come try!" I call out to him, beckoning him with a hand. He shakes his head with a laugh.
"I'm good," He calls back, and I pout at him. I shake my head, beginning to scan the shore for another rock.

I skip rocks for a long time, until eventually my wrist tires and I turn back around. Up the hill and to the left is a small rose bush, white and purple little roses blooming from them. I smile at them, but decide to sit next to Dean, Dixon sitting beside me, tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth as he pants. Dean turns off the camera, wrapping his arm around me as we watch the sun rise over the water. A lobster boat crosses the stretch of water we're looking out at, a black silhouette over an otherwise colourful painting.

I look up at Dean, smiling and squinting as light catches my eye.
"How're you liking Eastport so far?" I ask him, putting a hand up to shield my face from the sunlight. He smiles.
"Well, I've only been here for about forty five minutes, but I can say that I like it so far," He nods, then bending down and pecking my lips.

When we break, I lean my head on his shoulder, gazing out to the water. The boat has now passed by, leaving the ocean waters to reflects the gorgeous colors of the sunrise. I smile, humming to I Giorni, the song stuck in my head for whatever reason. I give Dean a weird look as he begins humming it with me, and he smiles at me.
"I thought you didn't like classical music," I state, and his eyes hold a certain sparkle in them, one filled with adoration and love.
"I love our song, though," He reasons, then sighing and looking out to the water. "I listen to it at least once every morning on the way to work," He states, and I find my heart fluttering at a million miles a minute.