Chapter Six

(A.N. I'm changing the time of the story. It's no longer taking place in 2014, but in 2013. I was running out of months before it came to present-day 😅 We're just pretending that Begin Again came out in 2013)

I wake up naturally, at around 8:00. I notice that the bed is empty beside me, only cold, crumpled sheets left behind. I huff, slowly lifting myself from my bed, walking over to my dresser. I grab some clothes, heading into the bathroom, hauling my hair out from my bun and brushing it. I slip into the shower, cleaning myself up quickly before stepping out, towel drying myself off. I slip on my pair of light wash shorts, a baby pink tank top, and a black zip up sweater before brushing my teeth and applying concealer and mascara. Once I'm done getting ready, I pad barefooted downstairs, the scent of coffee drawing me into the kitchen.

Dean stands at the kitchen island, sipping on coffee and reading the paper. I kiss him on the cheek as I pass him to reach the coffee machine, making myself a cup quickly. Dean explains that both Penny and Tyler went off to work, to which I nod and turn around at, coffee in hand. I'm still half groggy from sleep, yawning as I ask if he took Dixon out. Me mindlessly nods, sipping at his coffee as he flips through the paper,eyes scanning over each page quickly.
After I finish my coffee, I begin cleaning the house for Penny. It's already fairly clean, but I do things like sweep; mop; wash the windows; do the dishes; and vacuum any carpets in the place.

When I'm done cleaning, I grab one of the pink and white striped tote bags from the closet, taking it into the kitchen. I cut up some vegetables and lunch meat, as well as mix up some potato salad and tuna, packing everything away on either ziplock baggies or Tupperware containers. I also pack a lighter, fire starters, hot dogs, marshmallows, and hotdog buns, tucking it all away into the bag. The last thing I add is four bottles of water, and one bottle of Gatorade, as well as a thin red blanket.

I call for Dean as I stand at the back door, letting Dixon in. He comes in from the living room, and I hand him my car keys, asking for him to go start the car. He nods as I slip on my flip flops and leash Dixon, grabbing Dean's hoodie for him, knowing he'll want it whether he knows it or not. I head outside, locking the house behind me before walking over to the car, letting Dixon into the back seat. I slide into my seat, getting Dean to shove the tote bag by his feet for me.

I let James Bay, Joshua Radin, and a bunch of other singer-songwriters play softly through my car as we drive just out of Eastport. Dean and I chat on our drive down, about little things like some of my memories here, things he's heard about what's going on up home, and how Dean gave everyone strict orders not to touch Harriet. It's going to be the longest car fix in history, I am long past convinced.

The entire drive takes about twenty minutes, and we pull off onto a dirt road, having to drive slow down the bumpy terrain. Eventually the road ends, just a root filled trail up ahead. I sigh, turn the car off, and get out, letting Dixon out with Dean and I. I grab the cameras, and lead the way down the winding trail, Dixon prancing happily alongside with me. I can already hear the crashing of the ocean waves, the shrill of the seagulls, and the smell of the salty ocean mist is already tickling my nose. I look beside me at Dean, with his small, lingering smile and sun kissed, freckled skin. His eyes are obscured from view by dark sunglasses.

When I die, the last thing I want to see is him. I want to see his face, his eyes, his hair, everything. His mere appearance has given me butterflies and an overwhelming sense of adoration and love already, and I'd want to feel that one more time if I were going to die. He's so simply beautiful, without even knowing it. And he's just so kind and sweet, without a realization that everyone notices and thinks he's nice for it. People hear about him and I being in a serious relationship, and either feel relieved that Dean's retiring from his stop-and-go attitude or disappointed in me for getting together with him. Regardless of what they feel, Dean and I are very quite simply, in love.