It Burns Within Us [@amelierhys]

It Burns Within Us
A Contemporary Romance
by amelierhys

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Sometimes we lose ourselves in the darkness of others. We climb their peaks. We drown in their valleys. There's only one guide out of their dark path. And that's to find the fire that burns within us."

If there's one thing that can be said of Amelie Rhys, it's that time is no limitation. Whether the stories she crafts are historical or contemporary, there is a certain maturity and authenticity to the narrative, a raw beauty and vulnerability, and a romance arc that captures the heart.

It is this same heart, this same power, that beats in It Burns Within Us, a contemporary college romance that unravels so many of those threads holding you  together, and delivers a beautiful balance of the beauty and pain.

At first glance, Bren and Madie come from two different worlds, but a chance encounter in the dorm kitchen one night proves all is not how it seems. When Bren recognises that same quenched fire within Madie, and a twin spirit marked by shadows and hidden truths, he cannot leave her there. When shocking truths, and wounds they can no longer be swept under the rug, come to light, Bren does what he has to to get Madie out of there and protect the remnants of fire within. 

The story that Rhys has woven together was delicately, but still realistically, woven and at no point did the romance building between our leads distract from the importance of the message at heart. The inclusion of Madie's journal entries was also a nice addition that added further depth to her character and skilfully aided in portraying the ups and downs that Madie weathered.

This was one of those reads that had my heart (and my tear ducts) surrendered fully to Rhys' words, and to experience it again I just know the emotional wounds would be as raw as the first time. I have high hopes that one day we will be seeing more from Rhys and this story as it touches hearts worldwide.

TW: This story does contain content depictions of abuse (physical and sexual) and violence, and explicit sexual content.

★★★★★