Chapter 9

Dinner

“Takemichi, can you open the door for me? Let’s talk,” you say softly as you approach his door, eager to make amends for the havoc you’ve created.

When you receive nothing from him, you sighed. You remained still at the front of his door, you want to talk everything through.

“Look, I don’t mean to hurt you; I just don’t like seeing you being banged up.” You stated softly, staring at the still-closed door that served as a barrier between you two.

“Just leave me alone, sister.” He finally replied after a long while of silence.

“I heard from Mikey that you joined the gang because you wanted to be strong, and protect me. Takemichi, I’m strong enough to protect myself; you don’t have to be."

As you stated that, you heard footsteps inside his room walking towards you. You listened to it until it stops.

He then said, “All this time, you’ve been the one protecting me. You were always there to protect me when father was angry and reprimand me, but right now, I want to get stronger so that I can be the one protecting, so please sister, just let me be a delinquent.”

Hearing him say that behind the door, you sighed and leaned against the door.

“If father will find it out, he will surely cast you out. I don’t want it, so let’s go home, Takemichi.”

You were startled when he opens the door, you take a step backwards. You stare at each other as if you were taking through gazes.

“I don’t want to go home, this is my new life,” he says causing you to worry about him. If ever your father will find out of where you two is hiding, everything will get worse.

After speaking with your younger brother, everything seemed to fall into place, and you hoped that things would continue in this manner indefinitely.

“Darling!” Mikey exclaimed as soon as you exited your School’s gate.

You approach him, hitting his shoulder as you say, “I told you not to call me ‘Darling’ in School and don’t wait outside, I have a good reputation to uphold, don’t you get it?”

You frown as he laughs at you and pat the back of his bike, offering you a ride. You look at him, wondering on what he was planning this time.

You took a sigh as it leaves you no choice but to go with him.

After a long ride you two stopped at the restaurant. You furrowed your brows, looking at him as questions start to argue inside your mind.

“Let’s go,” he then said. You hesitated, but you don’t have a choice when he grabs your hand and pulls you along with him. “Don’t tell me, we’re…”

“I want to treat you, Darling. Let’s have a dinner here.” He said causing you to go speechless. You couldn't even react as you two finally get inside.

You didn’t expect him to bring you here. As you two sit, the waiter arrived instantly asking for your order.

“Just order anything you want, my Darling.” He uttered smiling as he looked at you.

You were in confused as you ordered a good. You just go along with Mikey. After a few minutes of waiting, the food you order arrived.

You eat silently, uncomfortable with Mikey’s gaze at you and smiling so happily seeing you eat.

You kick his foot under the table not that strong just enough to make him flinch.

You leaned closer and whispered, “Can you stop staring at me, and eat silently?” He just pouted in dismay.

“I don’t want to; you look so beautiful when you’re eating.” He commented, causing you to cough, and almost choke from the food you were eating.

“Stop saying things like that,” you said, clearing your throat.

It’s been three months since you met, and Mikey started to call you as his Darling. You wonder what kind of relationship you two have, when there is no love at all.

For you, it’s just Mikey’s game that you need to play, it was like he is the king and you’re the pawn, he is the master, and you’re the slave, he is the ruler and you’re the follower, or he may be the problem that you need to solve. Everything is confusing for you. You have no idea what’s on his mind.

“Isn’t it delicious, my Darling?” As time passes, you were getting used to it, addressing you as his Darling. In return, you gave him a nod.

“Thank you for bringing me here,” you say looking at him, he looks at you and smile, a warm smile.

“It’s nothing at all. Next time, let’s eat in the fancier restaurant, okay?”  You stare at him, saying those words, curving a smile on his face.

You’re left wondering who you are to him, and why he was treating you like this. As you thought,

is this a romantic relationship, if it is, then where is the love?

You two went for a walk in the vast park while he held your hand tightly. It was already night, cold, and it was too quiet.

“Mikey…” you called his name, wanted to clear your mind.

You came to a complete stop in front of him, staring straight to his eyes. “What is it, Darling?”

When you stare at him, you start to feel hesitant.The questions you got in mind backed off, as soon as you stare at him.

Should I ask him? Is this the right thing to do, but what if it isn’t?

“Mikey, what am I to you?”