Part Twenty-four

A discreet criminal wouldn't wear a pale yellow sweater and designer jeans. A discreet criminal wouldn't have a ponytail, mascara and lip gloss that sparkled even in the fading sunlight. In conclusion, the woman standing in front of Hugh and holding a kid in her arms wasn't discreet or a criminal.

"Oh, hello. You must be Hugh Grayson," the woman said.

She adjusted the toddler she was carrying as a grin formed on her face. A man walked up behind her, carrying a tray covered with foil. The tantalizing scent of warm food almost caught Hugh off guard.

"Yes, I am. May I know who you are?" Hugh asked cautiously. For all he knew, Oscar had hired two people to masquerade as a family.

"I'm Ella Hartborn, and this is my daughter and my husband."

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Theo Hartborn." The man behind Ella balanced the tray in one hand and held out the other for a handshake.

Hugh took it.

"Likewise." He remembered Theo's voice from the sack race at the fair. The chances of Theo being the gunman were comparable to those of a dinosaur appearing above the roof.

"We wanted to check on Izzy. We brought a casserole."

"Thank you. Come right in." Hugh ushered them through the side gate and asked them to wait at the bottom of the outdoor staircase while he got Izzy. He didn't have to climb far, because Izzy was already trying to peek out of her apartment door when he spotted her.

Hugh sighed inwardly. The girl really needed to follow instructions once in a while. He was touched by her concern, but he was more worried about what would happen to her than to himself.

"Who is it?" she called out. Before Hugh could answer, Ella appeared behind him and rushed to where Izzy was.

Izzy squealed in delight and hugged her friend. "Ella! I'm so glad you could come over. And you brought little Elinor here too."

"She's been looking for you since last Wednesday," Ella said as the little girl in her arms squirmed and reached out for Izzy.

"Of course she's been looking for me. I'm the best nanny she's ever had," Izzy boasted. "And a good afternoon to you, Big Daddy."

Theo stood beside Hugh, arms crossed over chest. Hugh looked at him and realized that he had been disobeyed too. Theo had had no choice but to follow his wife as she sought out Izzy. He now approached the two women on the stairs.

"Why does everybody keep calling me that?" he scolded as he ruffled Izzy's hair with his big hand.

"Bi-daddie!" Elinor piped up.

Theo grinned and gave his baby girl a big smack on the cheek. Izzy had never seen a prouder father before. It wouldn't be long before this little moppet got her way all the time. She already had Big Daddy's heart wound around her chubby little fingers.

Ella's cheery voice brought Izzy out of her thoughts. "Anyway, why don't we two go in and set out an early dinner? I'm sure all of us need the distraction. And we'll leave the boys to talk about manly stuff."

Ella kissed her husband swiftly and dragged Izzy behind her.

The roles had been reversed after Ella gave birth. Izzy had once been the leader, and Ella the one following her around. Now it was Ella who ordered everything done, and it was Izzy who obeyed simply because the motherhood gene in Ella had been activated.

Hugh watched the two women head for the kitchen. He only returned his attention to Theo when the latter put an arm on his shoulder. "Women. You gotta love 'em."

Hugh smiled. "Ella's very important to you, isn't she?"

"She and my daughter are my whole life. I take it Izzy is yours. I can see it in your eyes." The man entered the apartment before Hugh could protest against what he'd said.

Theo had seen Hugh's helpless, puppy-dog expression the moment he glanced at the younger man's face. He'd also seen the way Hugh had hovered protectively by Izzy at the fair. Anyone looking would know that Hugh was madly in love with Izzy Nacino without him saying a word. "Now about that talk..."

Continued

Please stay tuned for more parts. And please tell a friend if you think they might enjoy this type of story. Thank you for reading!