Part Twenty-five

"I was at Night Light the other day, and Mikey told me the real reason Hugh was here. However, I doubt that Miss Haber will listen to me once we show up at her place to help with some cleaning." Ella mixed the batter that they needed for the cookies. She sank a finger into the mixture and popped it into her mouth before turning around to face Izzy.

"I know. Miss Haber got a little out of control." Izzy had Elinor in her lap, getting a horsey-ride on her knees. The men had gone back downstairs to retrieve extra snacks and the child's diaper bag from the car.

"Out of control? The whole town thinks you'll be married by the end of the week!"

Izzy cringed and stopped the quick motion of her legs. "Darn. This is getting complicated."

"Not to mention downright hilarious. But I must admit, I was a little disappointed when he told me about your bodyguard. I thought you'd finally found someone to share the rest of your life with. And that man—I almost forgot I had a husband when Hugh opened the door."

"Which is why he'll never be the man for me. I can already imagine the number of women hiding behind the bushes and waiting to catch a glimpse of him walking through town."

"But that hasn't happened so far. You know why?" Ella temporarily left the bowl and came over to Izzy.

She knew that something was happening between her friend and the man downstairs. She'd bet Elinor's supply of fresh diapers that the two were already in love with each other. "This is the part where you say something that I would never believe in a million years."

"Exactly." Ella sat on the dining room chair just beside Izzy and leaned on the table. "The women about town aren't willing to catch Grayson because he's been seen with you. And believe me, no woman would want to challenge the Crazy Izzy."

"Once again, my reputation saves the day." Izzy rolled her eyes.

"It's your own fault that your reputation precedes you. Remember when you first entered Towdee High? I was a Junior back then, but that little skirmish with Virginia Dulce still reached my ears."

Ella grinned. She remembered the day she met Virginia Dulce. She was just a freshman, and she had just come out of that sticky situation with her guardians.

That first day in school, she'd heard 'Ginny' Dulce spreading rumors of her childhood experiences among the other girls. Back then, Izzy had almost told Virginia that she was the daughter of Mario Nacino, Towdee High's most valuable sponsor and the man who could kick any student out if he wanted to. However, that would've crushed her pride, so she'd chosen to dump worms in Virginia's locker instead.

It turned out that Virginia's pack of silly socialite 'friends' had pressured her to embarrass the other students. Ginny had apologized and went on to become one of her closest acquaintances. They still sent Christmas and birthday cards to each other from time to time.

"I haven't heard from Ginny in a while," Izzy said, a nostalgic tone in her voice.

But Ella would have none of it. "Don't try to change the subject."

Izzy huffed. "Fine. Let's cut down to the chase. What else do you wanna know about Hugh?"

"Now we're talking. Are you attracted to Hugh Grayson?"

There was a long pause before Izzy's shoulders deflated. The girl closed her eyes as a telling blush spread over her face. "I wish I wasn't."

"Oh, Izzy, I'm so happy for you! Does he know?"

"Why would I want him to know? So he could take advantage of me and take all I've got? So he could stay in Daddy's good graces for good?" Izzy grew irritated as all the fears she had about Hugh returned.

What if the man cared only for his job? What if he was trying to make her like him so she would follow his every command and not get into trouble? What if that doorbell hadn't rung, and she had yet again confessed to another Peter Lewis who was only looking out for himself?

Izzy placed Elinor on the comforter they'd spread over the floor, then paced to the window.

She didn't realize that Ella followed her there. "Izzy, not all men are like that. And I was thinking more along the lines of telling him so he can make the next move. That's how you play the love game."

"We're not playing anything."

"The way that man looks at you, as if you were the rose among the rutabagas, says otherwise. You know what I think you should do?" Ella asked. "Dress up in your pretty black dress. Then tie a big, fat gift bow around your hair. Then show up in front of him and say, 'Baby, I'm all yours.' If that won't make him kiss you 'til kingdom come, I don't know what will."

"That's crazy!" Izzy exclaimed, her hands high in the air.

"Exactly," Ella chuckled.

Continued

Please stay tuned for more parts. And please tell a friend if you think they might enjoy this type of story. Thank you for reading!