Chapter 5

Forte, Dylas, and I all looked at each other in consternation at the soldier’s escape, but before we could say anything, Avani cried out in anguish and ran towards the castle. We all followed as she burst into the castle’s great hall, but we held back in the doorway, shocked by Venti’s weakened appearance. “Venti!” Avani cried as she ran up to the dragon. “Venti, are you okay?”

To our relief, Venti slowly raised her head, looking at Avani with eyes that dully swirled blue and green. “Do I look okay to you?” she replied tiredly. “If so, you’d better get your eyes checked. What happened? I heard a commotion.”

Avani flew to her, throwing her arms around the dragon’s neck as she simultaneously laughed and cried. “Whoa, hey now!” Venti protested, though I could see that she was pleased by the display of affection. “Don’t fuss so, silly child. Tell me what happened.” Avani released her and gave her a brief summary of the night’s events.

Venti settled back down on her perch with a weary sigh. “So… the Sechsons are getting more aggressive. I’m sorry I couldn’t help. I feel oddly feeble tonight.”

“But Venti, don’t you see? They’ve stolen the rune spheres! That’s why you’re feeling weaker!” Avani exclaimed, looking distressed. “I don’t know what they plan to do with them, but I feel like trouble is brewing—something big.” She chewed her lip and scowled, lost in thought. “Well, whatever their plans are, I’m not going to just let them get away with this,” she exclaimed fiercely. “I will get those rune spheres back for you, Venti. I swear it!”

“Now wait just a moment!” Venti exclaimed, alarmed. “What if something happens to you? You don’t know what you might be up against.”

“It doesn’t matter, does it?” Avani replied, gently caressing the dragon’s neck as she rested her forehead against it. “We all need you, and you need the spheres. So they must be recovered at any cost. And I’m the best suited for the job—you know I am. Just hang in there, Venti. It will take time to complete my preparations. If I just go running off half-cocked, there’s no way I will win.”

“I’ll ‘hang in there’, you foolish girl, if you promise you will return safely to me this time,” the dragon replied wearily.

“I swear I will. Now please rest and conserve your energy so you can get better. I mean, who else can I tease and argue with like I do with you? So take it easy, okay?” Avani said, leaning her cheek against Venti’s head.

Venti’s eyes softened as she replied, “Of course. Who else but me is going to put you in your place as you so often need? And who else but you will brighten my days with your cheeky speeches? Now, leave me. I need to sleep….” And with that, she lowered her head and appeared to slip into slumber.

Avani slowly stepped back, so as to avoid disturbing her, then as she turned, she saw us there and blushed with the realization that their conversation had been overheard. She placed a finger on her lips and motioned us to follow her to her rooms. After closing the heavy door quietly behind her, Forte said she would have to inform Arthur of the night’s events and prepare a report for the capitol. Avani gave her a hard look and suggested that as soon as she’d spoken to Arthur, she stop in at the clinic and have Jones see to her. “The report can wait a little longer—it can’t go out until tomorrow at the earliest anyway. So please, Forte, take care of yourself. We need you.” Forte’s impassive expression didn’t change, but her eyes were smiling as she nodded agreement and took her leave.

Avani turned to face Dylas and me. “Well, you two. Things have taken an interesting turn. I need to talk to Doug, but first things first. Are you okay? That was quite a fight. You both did well.” After reassuring herself that we were not seriously injured, she told us to get out of our armor and tend to our equipment while she fixed something for us to eat.