Chapter 71

Dylas, Avani, and I all quietly left Sharmila’s study, leaving Chanda sleeping peacefully under her care. She’d cast some spell that the seers alone knew, I gathered mainly due to the difficulty in learning it as well as the potential to do more harm than good. Sharmila explained that it would accelerate the healing process, allowing her to quickly replenish the blood she’d lost, but that she had to negate the spell after a few hours or a day at most, or else the acceleration could cause irreparable damage.

As we quietly walked down the hall, Dylas suggested a bath would be a good idea. We were still naked, and each of us was smeared with grime and blood. Avani and I agreed, and she led us back to the bathing room.

This time it was occupied by a few of the servants. They were just finishing, though, and by the time we had finished scrubbing and rinsing in the shower, they had departed. The water was too hot for Avani to soak in this time, so Dylas and I soaked in the bath while she sat on the edge with her legs dangling down into the bath. After a few minutes of quiet relaxation, she looked over at Dylas, who was leaning back and sunk down so that the water came nearly to his chin. “Well, now that half the tribe has seen you in the buff, are you feeling a little more at ease with nudity and your appearance?”

Dylas turned beet-red and slipped down a little, sputtering. “No! I mean, not really. I… I don’t think I’ll ever be that comfortable. But….”

“But?” Avani prompted as he hesitated.

Turning a little more red, he said, “Well… you were right about the water. It did feel pretty nice without a swimsuit, especially in that heat.” I burst out laughing and he glared at me. “H-hey! Knock it off! It’s not that funny!”

“Well, the next time Avani and I throw a skinny-dipping party, we’ll be sure to invite you first,” I teased him with a grin, and Avani kicked a spray of water at me as she laughed at the idea.

Within a couple of hours, Chanda had recovered enough to rise, and she declared her intent to attend the evening’s meeting despite her debility. Sharmila hesitantly approved, then sent her to go and bathe with Avani’s assistance. The two women appeared a little while later, dressed in native garb. Chanda wore a crimson tunic with some simple embroidery on the sleeves, and baggy, lightweight trousers in a black print—a modest costume that suited her well. Avani, on the other hand, was stunning. She wore a peacock-blue skirt and cropped top that left her rounded belly exposed. Both the skirt and top were heavily embroidered in gold and red and decorated with small red jewels or crystals, and she carried a length of sheer peacock-blue fabric draped across her waist and shoulder. Her celadon hair had been braided and wound at the back of her head, with tiny golden-yellow flowers tucked into the coils.

In her arms, she carried additional clothing. “Here, I brought these for you two, if you’d like to dress in the local fashion for the meeting tonight?” She handed a few articles of clothing to Chanda, and held up the rest. I was intrigued by the bright colors and the embroidery, having a love of color myself. Seeing the dubious look on Dylas’s face, she explained, “They’re similar to Chanda’s outfit, only the tunics are longer and more heavily embroidered. She prefers simple clothing for even the most formal occasions.”

“Is this a formal occasion, then?” I asked, somewhat surprised.

“In a way, I suppose. There will be an announcement of Bhima’s death—and for all his despicable behavior, he was well-regarded in the community, since most of the tribe never saw his… darker side. And an announcement of our marriage and pregnancy, not that the latter is exactly necessary. Since I’m a princess, though, it will still be a matter of interest—especially given that, as far as the tribe is concerned, I was already married at the time of our marriage. And of course, everyone will be keen to see me after my long absence, regardless of whether they wish me well or ill. So it behooves us to look our best, since so many eyes will be upon us.”