𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

It was all such a blur. Her heart ached in her chest, standing there at the funeral dressed in all black with mascara stained tears rolling down her cheeks. She held the rose in her hand, twirling it between her fingers anxiously. She wasn't expecting the funeral to be open casket, much less for it to take place outside with all of these people that Alaska never knew standing around and sobbing over a woman they probably didn't even know. It made Alaska clench her jaw momentarily before she remembered why it was they were actually there. Her mother was dead.

She had never really been to a funeral before―︎ minus that one time that her grandmother had died, but she had only been four so she barely remembered it. She was too young to truly understood what death was way back then. She tuned out what it was that was being said, the speeches of how wonderful her mother was only bringing a fresh wave of tears to her cheeks every single time. God, how much she missed her mother. She couldn't help but silently curse the drunk driver that had slammed into her after running through a red light.

When she noticed everyone stepping forward in order to place their flowers onto the casket, a lump formed in her throat. After this was when they would lower her mother six feet under and into the hole that they had dug. Alaska swallowed thickly as she carefully stepped forwards. Her hand seemed to be violently shaking as she lowered the flower until it touched the slick black material of the casket. She let one more tear drip from her eyes before she took a few steps and allowed the casket to be lowered, throwing a handful of dirt in before her step-father took her by the shoulder and dragged her away and into the car.

Alaska placed herself into the passengers seat of the car, watching her step-father carefully as he entered the drivers side, slamming the car door closed as he placed his hands on the steering will, gripping so tightly to the point that his knuckles had turned white. Alaska buckled herself securely, staring at her step-father for a moment before she hesitantly reached over and placed a hand on his shoulder. She wanted to comfort him, but she didn't really know how to, especially since she wasn't really sure how to comfort herself.

"We'll be okay." Alaska softly reassured him. Trevor Waldrop turned his head to look at his step-daughter before forcing a small smile as he nodded his head.

"Eventually." He simply answered before putting the car in drive and heading forwards and back towards the home.

Alaska was sure that that was the day that it all changed, being forced to get up and move away from her hometown and to the small town of Beacon Hills, California. Everything seemed to remind her of her mother, and she and Trevor both agreed that it would be okay to move even if they moved only an hour away from where they had originally lived. But that was a decision that Alaska would come to regret. Because a month into living there, an accident happened, and she herself was on the brink of death with no one to help her except for a boy that she had never met before who was just as confused as she herself was.