Ours

Claire knew being an attending would be hard, and she would face new challenges. She had been so excited and so nervous about it. She loved it. Of course, she did. She had dreamed about it for so long, and it was finally a reality. 

But this case was very tough. And she knew that when she had gotten it. The hospital had taken it on mostly for publication, and Claire had been the lucky one to get it. 

She didn't feel embarrassed going to Neil's office to ask if he wanted to look it over for her. It was nice to have someone to spare with, and she knew he wouldn't judge her for it. She also knew that with a case like this one, she was almost expected to seek help from the other attendings. 

He skimmed her notes and the other information she had brought him. She didn't like the look on his face. "That is going to be tough," he stated as he looked back up at her from the papers. 

"I promise I'll taker a closer look at it and get back to you," he smiled comfortingly. He knew she could do it. They might not have a solution yet, but they would find one. Getting this case was a big honor and a big burden. The pressure of needing to do well was crushing. 

"Thank you," she said, just as the door behind them swung open. 

"Neil!" the tall man greeted. "I just wanted to see if we were still up for that game tonight," he stated but continued talking before Neil could say a thing. 

"Claire! Love!" he kissed her hand cheekily, and Claire chuckled amusingly. "How is that case of yours going? Big honor, huh?" he smiled, his dimples on display.

"I'm figuring it out," she responded, not wanting to give away too much. Jonas was a guy Neil knew from his college days, he had started in the pediatrics department just a week ago. 

"I'm sure you'll do great," he said with a smirk and then turned to Neil. "The game?" 

"Well, it's marked in my calendar, so I guess..." he hesitated teasingly. Well, he also kind of didn't want to go, but he hadn't seen the guy in 7 years before Jonas started at St. Bonaventure, he felt like he owed it to him. 

"Come on, old guy! I'll see you at 8!" he smiled. Claire had seen him a couple of times. Talking with Neil, randomly in the halls, eating in the cafeteria. He's a pretty informal guy around his coworkers, but very professional when it comes to his patients. She'd had a few decent conversations with him. 

He turned his head to look at Claire before saying to Neil: "Do you mind giving me a moment alone with Claire?" he mumbled, but still loud enough for Claire to hear him. 

Neil pinched his eyebrows, not liking the idea, but he still smiled, nodded, and left. Left his own damn office. 

He did not like Jonas. 

"He wants to have sex," Neil almost choked on his water. 

"He said that?" he asked, confused. They were standing on the balcony, taking a well-deserved break. 

"He asked me out for dinner, but the expectation - or hope - for sex was clearly implicated." she chuckled and took a sip of her coffee. 

"What did you say?" he asked, nervous for her answer, although he tried not to show it. He really hoped she hadn't agreed. 

"I said yes," she answered, just a little regret could be heard in her voice. 

"Why would you agree if you know he just wants sex?" Neil asked, unable to contain his curiosity. 

Because I'm not getting anything out of you. 

"I'm an adult woman, with a healthy libido, and he's attractive," she shrugged. Neil was clearly feeling uncomfortable with the conversation, and no matter how much he wanted to deny it himself, he also knew that he was somewhat jealous.