Fire Meet Gasoline - Pt 2

It overwhelmed Claire seeing all her old classmates in the gym of her old high school. High school had not been great for her, and it did not bring up a lot of good memories. The only reassurance she was feeling was from Neil's presence beside her. He stood to her left, just slightly behind her, giving her the room she needed to take it all it.

She had done harder things than this, but it was still not fun. Claire glanced at Neil before walking further into the gym. It was decorated almost like a prom for adults. If such a thing existed. Claire never really got a prom, she spent the night helping out her mother. Again. 

"Omg! Claire?" a tall girl with blonde curls looking surprisingly at her. 

"Yeah, it's me," Claire chuckled awkwardly. 

"How good to see you!" The blonde hugged Claire loosely before turning her attention to Neil. "Who's this?" she asked, her voice quite curious. 

"This is-" Claire paused shortly. "My partner," she smiled at Neil slightly teasingly.

"Neil, Cassie, Cassie Neil," she gestured between them, introducing them to each other.  

"Ooooh! Little Claire has a boyfriend, huh?" Cassie gasped. "Oh! Or are you married?" 

Claire blushed at the question. "Um, no, we're not," she replied. 

"Not yet," Neil winked, and Claire wanted to hit him for keeping up with his little game, but all she could do was smile and play along. 

"Oh, I bet you'll have a ring on that finger before the year is over, Claire! At least if your man keeps talking like this," Cassie grinned, before recognizing someone behind them and excusing herself. 

"Are you serious?" Claire turned to look at Neil accusingly. 

"What?" he smiled. 

"'Not yet'" she imitated, making Neil laugh. 

"I'm just making it believable," he excused.

Claire rolled her eyes as they made their way to the long table at the side of the gym. Drinks, refreshments, and small snacks were placed upon it. 

They each got one of the "welcome" drinks. The gym was already pretty crowded, and within 5 minutes, the principal came on stage, speaking for about 5 minutes about the school, the class, the memories. Claire stood beside Neil, slightly off to the side of the gym. She couldn't help but look around, scanning the faces she could see, just because she was too curious about who would be here. 

The night moved on slowly. They greeted more people, some Claire had liked throughout high school, and some she didn't. She was glad to have Neil by her side. It made her feel less alone. She could feel his constant presence beside her, and he also made sure to brush her arm or her back when they were talking to someone to make it "believable". 

Small, round tables were scattered around the gym, making room for a dancefloor in the middle. Claire and Neil were not using the dancefloor much, or at all, but they were enjoying talking to each other at one of the tables. 

Claire was laughing when she suddenly stilled. She sighed. Not like she was tired, but almost in admiration. 

"What?" Neil asked, smiling at her expression. 

"I love this song," she answered, and Neil listened for a moment, realizing it was "Kiss from a rose" by Seal playing over the speakers. 

He smiled cheekily again. "Oh no," Claire looked at him suspiciously. "What now?" 

He held out his hand to her. "Let's dance," He was almost surprised himself that he had asked. He was not a dancer, but he wanted to dance with Claire.