Behind The Comebacks

11 years ago

I heard agruing down stairs I couldn't understand what they were saying, i was in my room waiting for my mom or dad to come in and read me a bedtime story but all I could think of is "I hope mommy and Daddy are ok" I wanted to see their faces hoping this will all end soon. Everything paused, I walked with my toddler legs and went down the stairs carefully hoping I don't fall like last time, I saw Mommy and Daddy but they weren't moving they stayed in place. Things were on the floor mom was in tears dad was trying to comfort her but she was blocking it, why would she do that, didn't she love dad, why is she crying. And then everything continued like they weren't paused in the first place, "Mommy are you ok? Why are you crying" They both looked my way with remorse like they felt sorry for me."Hey sweetie just go upstairs I'll be right up to tuck you in, ok." "Ok." And I went upstairs.

1 year later
It's happening again... their arguing but this time I can understand it, "WHO IS HE MICHELLE " "HE'S MY COWORKER JOHNNY" "STOP LYING TO ME" "WHY WOULD YOU THINK I WAS LYING" "Because I know Michelle" "y-you know?"
"I know your pregnant... and it's not mine" Then everything went silent, I was so confused my 4 year old brain couldn't process this, does this have to do with that man that called mommy? is daddy mad about it? Will everything be ok. Then the time stopped again but this time everything was just slowed down, so I went downstairs again, there I saw mommy's packed bags, my dad sitting on the couch with his head in his hands, mom was slowly walking out of the door closing it behind her. Then time was back up to speed and my dad looked up "Hey honey let's go read a bedtime story, ok." "Is mommy coming back?" "Uh...yeah. Come on lets go upstairs." But she never came back.

"Quinn" "Quinn" "QUINN!" My math teacher yelled "Yes" I said shooting my head up "Can you answer the question on the board? What is x+(3x−2)" "uh... 4x - 2" "That's correct maybe pay attention next time though" "Sorry"
"Are you ok" Max asked me "Yeah, um would you like to hang out after school" "Like with the party?" "No just us" "Yeah I'd like that" she replied with a smile.