1 - A Road of Trouble

"Hello, can you help us out with our van?" Sarv asked a small, brown-haired stranger. Ruv stared down at him intimidatingly. "Of course..!" He said dreamily. The stranger then looked up at Ruv and widened his eyes, shaking a bit. "This guy's no good. He has no clue how to fix it- he just wants to be around you." He muttered.

"Alright, thank you for your time!" And just like that, the man was rejected.

"I knew that already. You don't need to advise me all the time." Sarv boasted. "I was just saying..." He retorted.

Through the slight bickering, there was no one who would help out. Sarv and Ruv continued on until noontime. There were two dealerships, but Ruv didn't have the trust to go to either of them. Sarv couldn't do this without him, so she didn't argue much.

They sat down on the edge, out of the way so pedestrians could pass by. The former nun watched the rocky grey road uneventfully. Suddenly, Ruv perked up. A sense of someone- no, multiple signs of negativity picked up. "Sarv, bad people are near." He got up and dragged him and her into the closest alleyway.

"W-what?" She remembered his childhood and hid behind her friend, becoming his shadow. Little did they know that another shadow had appeared behind them.

"It's a squad of men and women- they remind me of..." Ruv spaced out. "Of..?" Sarv inquired. "...Never mind."

The squad began walking faster and glimpsed at Ruv, who attempted to blend with the darkness. The criminal's eyes widened, and he only said one word to Sarv: "Run."

She sprinted farther into the alley, scared on what was about to happen. As she did, she didn't notice the figure in front and crashed.

Sarv screamed in surprise. A tall man with a bomb for a head grunted painfully beside her. "OW, THE HECK WAS THAT FOR?" He yelled. While Sarv began apologizing, Ruv blocked them and faced the group. 

"Ruvyzvat, is that right?" A woman in black smirked. He doesn't recognize any of them. "Who are you?" He questioned.

"My sincerest apologies, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Angel, daughter of the man of your nightmares." She showed him the back of her hand. A print of a bone with carvings sat there.

"Him..." Ruv froze. "NOT HIM." He wanted to be strong, to shield his only friend, but now stood weakly on his long legs.

"Hmm, so he is in those nightmares of yours." The girl spoke. The rest crowded behind, ready to take action. "I can't believe you are still tracking me." Ruv gave a hard stare.

That was a huge lie. He knew it was bound to come. He gripped his hands, calloused and numb, and prepared to attack.

Before the criminal could launch his fists however, a larger man grabbed him by the shoulders and threw him back where Sarv was sitting in fear.

He looked at him sharply. Ruv was speechless. "Cover your ears, will you?" He says to the duo.  His electric voice startled Ruv, paralyzing him. Who is this guy..? They slowly nodded.

"I'm scared." Sarv whispered. 

The bomb then let out a terrifying scream that nearly deafened the group in front of him. Strangers who walked past covered their ears. It was as if he screamed into a mic with a hundred speakers.

He moved closer to the leader, and said "Get out, or this will get much worse." His taller stance threatened them. The leader ordered her members to retreat with no words coming from her mouth.

"There. You two good back there?" The unknown guy turned back around. Sarv was hugging her knees the entire time. The latter just sat in shock. He chuckled at the two. "Sorry, don't be alarmed." His smooth voice snapped Ruv out of his trance.

"..." 

Silence instilled the area even after the ear-piercing scream. Sarv slowly got up. Her face switched from horror to gratitude.

"Thank you so much for saving my bestie and I!" She leaped at the stranger, catching him by surprise. "Er- you're welcome." The man didn't hug back, but let her cling onto him.

"Sarv-" Ruv got up as well, walking forwards to get his friend off of the bomb-headed dude. When they were at a closer distance, Sarv let go to hug him instead.

Ruv muttered something in Russian, and the bomb glanced at him. "So...what's your name?" He asked towards both of them.

The former nun smiled at him. "I'm Sarvente, but you can call me Sarv. And this is Ruvyzvat-" She pinched his cheek. "But he goes by Ruv." 

The Russian had enough. "Seriously, get off now." Ruv lightly pushed Sarv. She laughed innocently. 

"I can speak for myself." He says. 

"Oh really? It looked to me that you were too scared to. You should've seen your face." Sarv answered. Ruv glared at her. 

"No need to panic Ruv, Sarv looked like she'd seen a ghost. My name's Whitty by the way." The guy said. 

. . .

"I get it. You two need somewhere to stay?" Whitty said. He'd just caught up on the events during Sarv and Ruv's day.

"Yes! Our house just got sold and our car won't work anymore..." Sarv replied. Ruv just stood there expressionless, letting Sarv do the talking.

"I can relate. I was once living on the streets with no where to go." Whitty and the others sat down, watching the sun lower.

"...Me too, actually." Ruv said quietly. Sarv stared at him with surprise. She didn't think that he would open up even a little detail about his childhood that quickly to someone else. Jealousy stung her heart.

"Woah, for real? Man it sucks, not knowing how many ordinary people go through this kind of stuff." Whitty reached over to touch Ruv's shoulder.

"Hey, we just met you! Keep a distance at least a little!" Sarv projected out. "...She's right." Ruv would've argued for himself, but he didn't mention that.

"Oh- sorry, you guys just seem very cool, and it made me feel like we've been buddies for a long time." Whitty put his hand back into his pocket. "You're fine, it's nothing to worry about." Ruv said.

"Well, that's good to hear. Anyway, you two wanna stay over at my place? It's not too shabby." Whitty suggests to them. Ruv was going to decline, but Sarv said "Sure! It means a lot to us! Right Ruv?" 

The Russian leaned to Sarv and whispered, "We already have enough money to get our own, we're just looking for a mechanic."

"I know that." Sarv stated, making a devilish grin. "Go along with it."

Ruv sighed. "Yes, it means a lot." 

"Aw, don't be too sarcastic! Trust me, I want you guys to not end up like this anymore." Whitty got up. "Follow me."

Ruv was skeptical, but the two proceeded to follow.