Chapter 8 : Lonely Together

Midoriya shut his bedroom door behind you and invited you to sit on his bed.

You sat down, knees to your chest as you watched him. He eventually joined you, sitting on the opposite side.

"Earlier you asked what I'd been through," He began, his tongue poking out and wetting his bottom lip as he thought "I've been through a few things..."

You watched intently, shaking but unnoticeably. You felt awful. You'd invaded Midoriya's privacy, had you not?

"Izuku," You cut him off "I really didn't mean to pry, I was looking for paper and I wandered off. I'm sorry I appeared to be nosy, I didn't mean to."

The tension in his furrowed brows softened the smallest bit.

Before you knew it, his hand was placed on your knee. It was calloused from hard work, warm and widespread, something so gentle about the gesture. His thumb ran circles for a short moment before he sat back again.

"I'm not mad at you." His voice was certain, incredibly so. Then again, Midoriya understood your soul like no one else. There was a method to your madness, albeit not much, but he could analyse it easily nonetheless. He knew you'd never intentionally stick your nose in, but he was also relieved you'd confirmed that.

"I'm sorry," You frowned again. Was it ridiculous? That you were scared? Sad? He was meant to be the one sad.

Well, you couldn't exactly control it. You were upset. Being worried about rejection 24/7 was nothing new. You'd often describe it as your worst enemy, biggest nemesis.

Even if someone didn't even say any words pointing toward rejecting you, your brain would instantly jump to such a conclusion. And it was so much more painful. Just a 'perk' of your disorder...

Had you ruined this new friendship in less than 3 weeks? All because you couldn't wait until daytime to scribble down some stupid sentences.

"Hey," Midoriya's soft call out to you made you hesitantly reach his eyes "I'm not mad at you."

The repetition of the calming words calmed your heart, in turn. Nodding, he took that as an encouragement to continue with his story.

"To put your mind at ease, I'm not a father, nor was I going to be. Well, biologically, anyway." He cleared his throat. You knew already from that action that this was a hard topic for him.

He clasped his hands, hanging his head "I don't really know how to start."

You didn't know what to say, so you kept quiet and allowed him to take his time and go at his own pace.

"Y/n, you met my mother once, I think,"

Your frown returned at such a melancholy mentioning of Inko "I met her once at the second-year festival."

He hummed, looking up "Our first year she met my science mentor, Toshinori,"

"Toshinori?! Isn't he one of the best scientists in Masutafu?" Your excitement dropped all of a sudden when you remembered "Oh... I meant wasn't instead of isn't..."

A wobbly sigh made your heart stop.

"Unintentionally, my mother fell pregnant at the end of our second year, but she and my step-dad loved each other very much and went through with it." His voice wavered at the end, and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"The jet accident... Toshinori..." You whispered in disbelief.

"The pregnant woman in the plane was my mother, yes." He breathed "They'd had a quiet wedding near the last term of our third year and were going on a honeymoon."