A Good Old Game Of Hide And Seek

I could feel the lush grass hug soles of my feet as I jogged through the grass clearing. The sun kindly kissed my face, welcoming me to a place where time and worries were irrelevant. Some wildflowers blossomed passionately, guiding me to the cliff's edge, where I could see a figure facing the vast valley ahead. The closer I approached the cliff's drop, the more details of the figure and valley become apparent to me. I realized the individual was a middle-aged man with long messy salt and pepper brown hair, curls swirling just below the back of his neck. He wore a white t-shirt and pants, reminding me of a Fall Out Boy music video. I finally reached the edge, now side by side with the man. He kept looking ahead, admiring the view; I did so as well. A huge crystal blue ocean stretched for miles, its horizon meeting with the cloud-filled sky. Far from shore, the little shapes of boats drifted slowly through the calm waves. 

"It's beautiful, isn't it?", the man spoke softly. I kept my eyes focused on the boats, trying to see if I could see the sailors aboard. People seeking something beyond the place where the ocean and sky meet.

"Indeed.", I replied, finally looking over to the man. He felt my eyes waiting for him to do or say something more, then directing his gaze towards me, his pale sea-green eyes met mine.

"I miss you, Y/n.", the man confessed. I could feel the pain in his eyes. He moved closer to me and placed his hand on my head in a comforting manner. Something deep within me felt like it was ripping in half. A wave of pure emotion rushed through me, making me feel as though the wind had been knocked right out of me. This man. He seemed like a distant memory I couldn't quite recall, but the emotions connected to this person were powerful. I smiled at him, trying not to let the river of tears behind my eyes come pouring through. He smiled kindly back, bringing me into the tight embrace of his arms. He knew I wanted to say something but the words weren't forming.

"It wasn't your fault, sweetheart. You were protecting me and I died. You did all you could.", the man calmly reassured me. The weight in my chest grew with each word. I wanted to know who this man was and what happened to him, but all I could do was feel. 

Suddenly I felt him slowly pull away, I hesitantly departed as well. As I looked up at him, I noticed red dots piecing through his white shirt. Blood. I began to panic, rushing over to him to put pressure on the wounds. He fell to the ground and winched in pain as I applied pressure to three of his wounds. Every second a new wound would appear through his shirt, blood pooling neatly in circular patches. 

"What's happening!?", I finally let out, desperately trying to stop all the blood loss. 

Before he could weakly reply, everything went black.  

I jolt up in a cold sweat, shaking from the image of blood still fresh in my mind. What the fuck.  I took a second to pull myself together, then I got up. Right...I forgot I slept downstairs. I tiredly pulled the cover off my body and went to the kitchen. I began to make some food but that's when I noticed it was still dark out. Puzzled, I went to the big window by the kitchen table and checked outside. Pure darkness. I headed back to the living room and checked my phone, which was laying on the couch underneath some blankets. 

Friday, October 31

3:13 am

How peculiar, I thought to myself. Suddenly the sound of a doorknob slightly jiggling startled me. I quickly covered my mouth and tried to figure out which door was trying to be opened. I crouched down on the floor, staying out of the sight of the windows, and headed back over to the kitchen to grab a knife. Thank goodness all the lights and window curtains are closed. I reached for a knife that was sharp and dense enough to cut flesh through without struggle if needed. The doorknob jiggled even more violently, and that's when I figured out the intruder was trying to break through the back door a few feet from me. Taking deep breaths, I backed away from the door and headed for the front one, beginning to dial 911. As the phone was waiting for someone to pick up the line, I looked out the front door to see a dark figure walking up to the door; holding some kind of large weapon that reminded me of a machete. I made sure the door was locked and backed away. I checked my phone to see if the 911 operator would pick up, but the signal dropped, cutting off the call. This time the other intruder wasted no time trying the doorknob. They slammed the door with a powerful blow, causing a giant hole in the door to form. Wasting no time welcoming these unwanted guests, I sprinted upstairs. My plan was to close all the doors and hide in the bathroom, not locking any of the rooms to trick them so that they would know absolutely where I was. I mean come one, if a door is locked from the inside, there is most likely someone in there.  As I swiftly but quietly closed each of the five doors, I heard doors smash open, and loud footsteps following. They in. I reached the bathroom, closed the door, and went straight for the window that led to the roof. I pulled it up as hard as I could, but it wouldn't budge. FUCK. I heard heavy footsteps climb up the stairs. Shit Shit Shit, I began to panic. I quickly hid in the towel closet behind the bathroom door. To make sure the intruders wouldn't be able to open both doors and see me, I crawled to the very back of the closet and stacked things in front of me for coverage. I had to get into a fetal position because the shelf was only three feet from the bottom of the small shelving unit, which would have been an amazing hiding place as a kid. Feeling each powerful thump my heart took, I listened carefully. The sound of creaking floorboards alerted me the figures were creeping closer and closer to the door I hid behind. I pulled the knife closer to me, grasping my phone with an iron-tight fist. Still, on alert, I put my phone on silent and tried to text Stu and Billy so that they could call the police for me; however, this task was easier said than done since my hands were shaking uncontrollably from fear.