Chapter 6 - How Would You Like to Be...

By the time that we came out of the social hall, it was nearing eleven at night. I had taken off my jacket half-way through my performing since I got so flaming hot. My forehead was beading sweat. I dabbed it with a blue handkerchief that was already in my suit pocket. Air conditioning wasn't a thing in 1912.

"How 'bout we go on-deck, boy-o?" asked Wendell as he, Will, Brody and I were walking down the hallway to our room. "You're sweatin' like a dog in summer."

"I think that's a great idea," I said, and we turned around to the stairs that led up to the top decks. Will and Brody followed us, talking about those girls that they met. I smirked slyly. "So... you all met some gals tonight, huh?"

We came onto the stairs and stepped up and up. Brody said, "That we did. Me girl Beatrice was the loveliest girl in that room, and I be meetin' 'er tomorrow mornin' at breakfast. She's goin' to tell me more about herself."

"I think I met the loveliest girl in the room," Will countered. "And the most beautiful. Her name is even beautiful—Annalise. And I have to say, she's a fine dancer of the jig."

"You lads all need to screw your heads on straight," Wendell budded in. "Me girl Mary was the most beautiful and the best dancer of everythin' she did in there."

The guys went on and on about their girls, and I couldn't help but laugh at their banter. Will said as we neared the top decks, "Hey, what about Elvis here? He met a rather pretty gal."

"You mean that girl who has a brother who owns that 2nd class saloon?" asked Wendell.

"That be the one. I saw 'er talkin' to ya, boy-o," Will said to me. "She's quite the perty little thing." He winked.

"Yeah, she's really pretty, I have to admit," I said. "She wants me to talk with her brother tomorrow about singin' in that saloon. I'm gonna be meetin' 'im tomorrow mornin'."

We came up onto the deck and the cool air instantly cooled the sweat, cooling the whole of me. I let out a sigh. How refreshing!

"Is that right?" asked Wendell. "Will she be there as well?"

I shrugged as we went over to the railing, and the wind caught all of our hair. My hair had fallen out of its hold as I sang and danced. The guys had their hats off since it was too warm to wear them, even out in the cold air. "I'm not sure. I guess we'll see."

"Why are ya pesterin' 'im 'bout that girl, huh, when he has a girl at home?" Brody asked, nudging Wendell.

"A man can have a girl and still fall for another." He looked to me. "You had hearts in your eyes from the moment you met her, boy-o, and it's the same for her as well."

I smirked as I folded my arms over the thin metal railing. "I don't know, maybe. Regardless, I'm pretty excited to be potentially singin' somewhere else on the ship. It's all a part of the plan."

"Indeed, it is," said Will. "You'll be singin' in that 2nd class saloon, then it's on to the 1st class dining hall."

"You don't know that," Brody quipped. "Astor never showed up tonight."

"He may show up at the saloon, though. Elvis here will be in the 1st class dining hall in no time."

We all leaned against the railing, gazing out at the dark sea. Stars were speckling the black sky above us. The moon was shining down on us, but there were lights coming from various areas on the ship so passengers onboard could see as they walked about the decks. There was a surprising amount of people walking around, being after eleven at night, even 1st class people from the looks of it. A young blonde lady on the arm of a man, both looking 1st class, wiggled her fingers at me when she saw me looking at her. I turned back to the sea again, feeling a tad awkward, but also uneasy since that man and woman's life was at stake...