Chapter 8 - The Diamond Saloon

The guys were playing cards in our tiny room as I got ready. It was a bit crowded in the room with four grown men, but there was nothing we could do. We had no choice but to stay in a room smaller than my smallest bathroom in my mansion.

Will made a big deal about Wendell putting down a few good cards. They were playing their version or poker. I honestly didn't mind the game, and would play myself, but I had to get ready. I tightened my black tie as I was wearing my full black suit. My hair was filled with that hair grease again. I really liked the stuff. I would to have to find the same brand somehow after I go home... if I did. What if I was stuck in 1912? What if no one listened and I met my fate in the north Atlantic?

That couldn't happen. Other than the love of singing and making people happy, the reason why I was going to the saloon was to make sure I talked to the right people about that looming iceberg.

"Wow, would you look at you, boy-o?" enthused Brody and I turned around and faced the three of them as Brody and Will sat on the bottom bunk on the left side of the room and Wendell was sitting on my bed on the other side. There was a little table between them that had the card game on it—the table they snatched from a supply closet down the hall. I had nothing to do with that.

"Do I look alright?" I asked them.

"You look the same as when you performed for the 3rd class people," Wendell said. "No doubt you'll draw a crowd."

"A crowd of women," Will added. "I really wish I had your face, boy-o."

"You have a girl," Brody told him. "She finds ya handsome just the way ye are."

I snickered at that. "Well, I guess I should be off. It's already a quarter to eight. Wendell, you were gonna walk me to that grand staircase?"

He stood up. "That I was. Let's get goin'. I'll be back, lads."

He and I left the room and walked on down the hallway. There were quite a few people around since it was nearing eight, and that was when people liked to go out and have a good time. I had to dodge several people, including women who stared at me as I approached and passed. That happened about a dozen times before we came into an open area—the main lobby. Wendell chuckled.

"Wow, I wish women could stare at me like they stare at you, Elvis," he said. "I'm a bit jealous."

"Nah, don't say stuff like that. You're a plenty handsome guy. That girl of yours is a lucky one."

He grinned. "Ya think so?"

"I do."

"Thanks, boy-o." He pointed. "Now, this way."

We walked on again, but down another hallway, and we came into a larger lobby, and there in the center was a very elegant wooden staircase.

"Wow, would you look at that?" I enthused. "It's beautiful."

"Come here and you'll see somethin' even more excitin'."

We came closer to the staircase, the same one that I had seen in pictures, only those pictures were from the 1st class level I believe. There were more elegant decorations around. It was a bit bland down in 3rd class, with some piping showing in the ceilings. 1st class areas would have that all covered.

Wendell stopped near the stairs and looked up. He pointed in that direction. "See? If you look here, you can see all the way up."

I did as he was, and my brows rose. "Wow, that's really somethin'."

"Isn't it? Now, you just go up a level or two, I'm not sure. There will be a person there to tell ya if that area is 2nd class. I'm not sure how many levels there are to the 3rd class part of the ship."