Chapter#18: The princess bride: Revelations

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Väl Apple here! I'm so sorry for the late update, but this year has been interesting to say the least. I got covid, then I dislocated my knee and, after I recovered from both, I signed up for a government exam so I could, with any luck, get a better job. I'm still studying for it as it's in November, so I was quite busy and couldn't work on any fic of mine.

This chapter is not one of my favorites and I'm not sure if you, my lovely readers, like this new route the fic is taking. So I would really appreciate some input on the matter. Please, REVIEW AND TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS NEW ARC AND PLOT.

Also, follow me on Instagram for a more direct contact with me. I post arts and crafts. (@tpr_apple) 

 Enjoy reading and stay safe, my lovely readers! ;)

--------------

The vampire woke up to a wall of darkness and dust in front of him. Disoriented by the sudden change in scenery, Alucard looked around, trying to locate his surroundings. He was alone and, after further investigation and a short walk through the place, he concluded he was underground as well.

A muffled song could be heard from outside, among the screams, bullets and occasional explosions that shook the earth. Frowning, his right arm reached for the only source of light—a small and decrepit-looking wooden door—, only to stop and stare at his wrist. White fabric; an old but familiar coat he had worn a long time ago*. He squinted at the peculiar piece of clothing, lost in thought.

The last thing he remembered was falling asleep on that noisy contraption the humans called a bus, so this must be another of his recurrent dreams and, judging by the ruckus outside as well as his appearance, he could guess which one. Stepping out of what he now identified as a trench, the vampire walked into a familiar battlefield. He had been there time ago. Over half a century ago, to be more precise.

The smell of gunpowder and blood permeated one of the many battles of WWII, where Alucard and a younger Walter had fought. Mangled bodies littered the ground, discarded weapons and uneven field. Yes, this was War.

As it happened with the rest of his recurring dreams, the vampire knew how this one unfolded: it was the last fight he'd been involved in before being called back to England. The only thing that he couldn't place was the odd music, still coming from somewhere in the battlefield. It sounded like some of the old songs his last master, Arthur Hellsing, liked to listen to.

CRACK!

At the noise of a hard surface breaking under his foot, the vampire jolted, then bent down to pick it up. It was a phone—a small device. Her phone. Blood-red eyes narrowed at one thought: this wasn't supposed to be here either. Absentmindedly pocketing the cracked thing, Alucard kept walking.

Searching for the origin of the music, he sidestepped the blurred soldiers. There was no point in killing them, since they were mere manifestations of his imagination, many of them faceless and half-transparent, as though his mind couldn't bother to remember them. Alucard strained his ears trying to locate what he now recognized as a radio. He could hear Walter's wires cutting through air and flesh in the distance and the screams of those unfortunate souls who were in his way. He heard the marching tanks and the planes slashing across the air.

In the end, he just gave up trying to find the source when a small helicopter landed in front of him, carrying Walter and one other soldier. With some difficulty due to his height and to the cramped interior of the aircraft, he sat down on one of the side benches, his hand brushing the pocket containing the phone. Why had he kept it? Angry at himself for doing such a foolish action, he yanked it out of his coat, ready to throw it over the edge.