Invasion

"Monsters... monsters, there are monsters!" He kept on repeating the word monster for so long it was stuck in my head. "What monsters are you talking about you fool? What flag did you see?". Another inmate asked him angrily as he immediately wanted to know who the attacker was. I thought about all that I heard while I was slowly walking toward the hole in the wall to see the truth for myself. My curiosity is always moving with my body on its own. I am close, there is a little mound of dirt under the hole that needs to be climbed up to see behind the wall. I touch the wall and I am about to see the truth. Slowly and steady to not get noticed.

Another strong and loud roar is flowing through the air towards us. Frank quickly shouts "Take the weapons and let's move out!". I turned around to look at Frank and respond to him, but the sharp noise of something sharp gliding on the wall's metal plate confused me for a moment and I immediately jumped with my back toward the wall and whispered to everyone "Cover! Cover! Someone is coming!". Everybody starts to take cover everywhere they can. There are many blown holes in the ground that are able to cover multiple people in them. We are waiting for whoever will come to see if they are on our side or they are not. What will we do anyway? If they are enemies and they see us with weapons they might try to kill us. That wouldn't be great.

*Hiss... Some weird sounds of hissing are coming through the hole. I am nervous, my hands are shaking, I barely stand on my feet without falling to the ground. I am hungry, but still don't feel any exhaustion. I am filled with adrenalin that is trying to calm me down, but it is impossible. What is it? Why is it coming inside so slow? Why are there no gunshots?

*explosion*

Another huge explosion happened close to us. It bent my knees and I am falling to the ground. People in the holes are alright and still prepared to face any enemy. Smoke from the explosion is already next to us when hissing becomes very strong and something fast and huge leaps through the hole in the wall to the inside of the mine. I can't see what is it!

"Shoooot shoot!" Rapid gunfire starts to sound in whole surroundings. Fire from guns is everywhere. Hissing is much stronger and there is something shard slicing through the smoke. Someone grabs me and I can see it is Frank. "Run, run! This way!" He shouts at me while his face is covered in blood which is dripping on his clothes. He points me towards the mine and we start to run downhill back to the mine.

"Why are we going back?" I asked him and he tried his best to reply while running. "There is more of them outside!". More of what? I didn't see what happened, what is he even talking about. "Who are they? Who is invading?" I still tried to find out something from him. "I don't know... GET DOWN!" Frank shouted out of sudden and threw me to the ground. I fell to the sand pile that is in this location and I can't see a thing. I clean my eyes and grab the gun. The enemy must be close to us. I open my eyes and I see a huge shadow that is blocking the sun. Frank shoots at it and it is hit in the shoulder. It is no human. The creature starts to hiss loudly as it stretches its long arms to the sides. It is so huge and has four arms instead of two. What am I looking at? Anything normal like that missed my mind. All I could think about is "Stand up and run"- I stand up, point my gun at the enemy and start shooting at its head. Sparks are coming from places where I've hit its head. Frank shoots it in the legs and it is much more effective.

"Slow it down, shoot the legs!" As he said I've started to shoot at its legs as well. It is really easy to hit because of its massive frame. Muscular build with legs wider than bodybuilders. That creature is high as human and it's not even standing straight. Rather it stands with its knee bent and legs shaped like animal back legs. It is falling to all 6 legs while it is running and standing up only when it wants to fight. Its upper arms are longer and more massive and they have long claws with sharp horns in forearms. Lower arms are much shorter, They seem to be smaller but they use them while running as well. Those smaller arms must have some different purposes.

It is running toward us even after we shot it to the legs multiple times. "It's not even bleeding" I shouted at Frank... All he could reply was "Yea I know, that's why we need to run! Small caliber like this isn't working at all". Then we need to get inside the main hangar, Frank must be guiding us there. It is filled with all guard's weapons and ammunition. There are much stronger weapons than those we currently have at us. I look back and I see that creature is no longer chasing us, instead, it started to kill other people that were closer. However, I have looked at the hole and this creature is not alone. There are probably twenty of them right now coming inside and who knows how much more of them is outside. Is this what fortress was firing at? How did they survive, what are these things to survive so much? Those that I can see are probably not all of them.

The hangar is getting closer. It is about 40 more meters. Doors are opened and guards are still rushing outside while prisoners are kept outside and forced to stay out at gunpoint. We need to be clever about this. Frank starts to shoot... "What are you doing Frank, we can't use force to get in!"

"Don't worry they are too scared to fight back!" As he said that I've looked towards the gate and I was amazed that the guards actually did what he said. They are filled with fear of the unknown and when they noticed gunfire they immediately started to fall back and run. Inmates started to storm the gate and fight with guards. The massive battles started as inmates think that we are part of enemy forces that are invading mine and they run for their lives. Trying to get to cover of the hangar they push through guards and kill many of them. We mix between them and thanks to Frank's swift movement he guides me through masses of people. We are almost inside I can see it. The inside of the hangar is divided into multiple parts. First of all, is part where all inmates are coming through from the inside to the outside. There is a massive fence and wall that divides this section from the other two. Those two sections are connected with a guarded tunnel in the wall that has a door at each end.

"Where now?" I ask Frank to get to know what is his plan. I can see that he is looking to all sides to figure out where we should head first. "There, go to that crate!" He pointed to a military crate that is around 1 meter tall and he is moving toward another one. "Get that crate closer to the fence, we need to climb over it fast before other people will notice us!". Some people who were following us for the whole time started to bring even more boxes to make our way over the fence even much more possible. As we scaled crates to 3 meters height Frank went first and put some clothes he found over barbed wire. There are six lines of barbed wire stretched across. He uses one piece of clothing to tie together the bottom three at once and cover them with another cloth. "Another!" Frank shouts at us to give him more clothes. As soon as he did more inmates noticed what we are up to and they start to run toward where we are. "Quickly!" I yell at everyone as Frank is covering upper barber wires with more cloths.

As soon as he finished he stretched his arm and yells at me to move up fast before they get to us. I went up and he let me went through first and he followed right behind me to jump inside. More inmates started to jump through. "Hey! There!". Guards noticed us. My immediate reaction was to shoot and so I did. Guard lied down to the ground and one of the inmates starts to search his backpack. Guards start to shoot at us from multiple directions but there are many crates and stuff to cover behind. We move swiftly across this section without wasting ammunition as they shoot down some of the inmates who tried to follow us through the fence. We headed toward one specific crate that Frank showed me a long time ago. It is a crate that contains frag grenades. Once he was being taken out to work he noticed that crate was being opened and it contained grenades. Since then we found out that grenades and other explosives are in a different crate that is specific by its outer design. We quickly located it thanks to that knowledge.

"I hope it is full, please." Frank said calmly as he opens the crate. Inside was full of grenades. Around fifty highly explosive grenades are ready for us to use. Next to this crate, there was another one with code number 0Z-1. It is unlocked so it can contain something useful. I open it and it is one of the new technology weapons. An armor-piercing assault rifle that uses special heavy alloy ammunition that is said that it can penetrate even an armored vehicle and gun-proof glass. Those beasts were unaffected by normal weapons, maybe this thing will be able to hurt them.

"Hey Frank, what do you think? There are 3 of them... Do you want one?" I asked Frank with a smile on my face. This is a nice piece of luck found in a place like this where luck was something unrealistic for all those years.

"Sure, it can be useful even against those guards in heavy kevlar that will be positioned deeper in the ground." That is right, those guards outside are just regular soldiers in average uniforms with very little armor because all real armor is used on fronts. But deeper in the ground there are special guards that have around forty members in each block. Those guys are tough, very strong, and always walking in their set of armor and kevlar. Normal weapons are ineffective against them and they are meant to be protecting this place from outside and not from the inside. They are either waiting on the control station in the deeper section or they are already on their way up here to deal with us all.

"Let's take that crate closer, we will need to use as many of those frags as possible!" Frank leads the way as he is taking one side of the crate and I follow him toward the gate to the other section. The sound of people panicking, yelling and swearing are all around us covered only by occasional gunfire from guards. However, suddenly all the noises started to fade away as we could hear roars outside of the hangar. Those things are already here...

"Aaaah!" Loud scream filled the hangar and all people went silent as they watched as one of the inmate's body flew through the air deeper into the hangar. Everyone was quiet for a little moment before they realized that inevitable has come. One of the beasts is inside and ready to slaughter us all without any regret, hesitation, or exception. Screams started to fill the air again as I have grabbed as many grenades as I could and threw them to the doors. Frank did the same and a dozen of grenades were laying on the ground. One of the guards looked at the ground to look at what did just landed next to him. Unfortunate position to be in. As the explosion went off and smoke filled the surrounding area, five guards stormed the tunnel to see who blew the hole in the gate. Sadly for them, there was another grenade already at the ground under their feet.