Chapter 5

(Your POV)
(Y/L/N= your last name)
I woke up with a slight jump. It's the choosing ceremony. Dauntless or Amity??? I really don't know. I want to be free like the Dauntless but I'm not that brave. I want to be safe in Amity, but I can't handle all the smiling and laughing 24/7. Well, I guess I'll have to trust my instincts when I'm up on stage.
-----------------------------------
All the abnegation are sitting together on the far left side, next to the Candor. Then it's the Erudite, then it's the Amity and on the far right are the Dauntless. The head of the government, Johanna Reyes, also the head of the Amity headquarters, steps up onto the stage and gives a speech about how the factions all came to be, how we need peace etc. Then she walks off the stage, and Jeanine Mathews, head of Erudite headquarters, steps onto stage and starts reading out names of 16 year old teenagers who are about to choose their faction. I'm not really paying attention. I'm still thinking about which faction I'm going to choose. I look up at my mother who's sitting next to me and she gives me a warm smile.
"I will still love you, no matter what you choose." She says. I get startled, because no abnegation ever shows that much affection to anyone. So I just giver her a warm smile and look back at the stage.
"Y/N, Y/L/N." Says Jeanine.
That made me jump. I stand up, shakily, and slowly make my way to the stage. My hands are so sweaty, even if I rub them against my clothes. Jeanine gives me a warm smile as a pick up the knife. I slice it into my palm and it hurts a lot! But, I try not to show the pain. I still haven't made my decision yet. The Amity bowl is next to the Dauntless bowl, so I can make last minute decisions. I notice the Dauntless bowl has sizzling coals, and that sends a shiver up my spine. I let my hand hover between the two bowls, and I close my eyes, and jerk my hand to the left. I have no idea which bowl my hand is over now. Then, I feel a droplet of blood fall, followed by a little sizzle.
"Y/N, Y/L/N; Dauntless." Booms Jeanine.
I open my eyes and I turn to see the Dauntless, hands up in the air and cheering. I look back at the Abnegation section and I see my parents. My dad has his head bowed down, and my mum is giving me a fake smile. Great. I let them down. I turn to walk towards the Dauntless, where I'm greeted with lots of cheering and fists in the air.
"Norman, Y/L/N."
I turn to see Norman approach the stage. He cuts his hand with the knife and confidently places his hand over a bowl, and I can't tell which bowl it is. I see his blood drip.
"Norman, Y/L/N; Amity."
My mouth just dropped open. Norman. Amity?! He seemed to be such a natural for Abnegation. He goes over to Amity, with a big smile across his face. Jeanine reads a few more names and then the ceremony is over. All of a sudden I'm not so sure about my choice. If I had chosen Amity, I would have been with my brother. But I'm Dauntless now, and I'll try my hardest to become on of them.
As I walk along the the Dauntless, they burst into a run. I start running too, and I fell in love with the way the wind tousled my hair, and how alive I felt. Then they started climbing this big metal square poles that lead to the platform. I start climbing, and surprisingly it isn't that bad. I'm one of the first ones to make it to the top and I wait with the others.
"Get ready to jump!" I hear a guy say next to me. He was an Amity transfer, with his ridiculous yellow and red clothes on. He had a huge smile on his face. Well, I'm not surprised.
"Jump?!" I say. "How do you know?"
"I heard the other Dauntless say that. We have to jump on the train or we become factionless." Then he looks at my clothes and his eyes widen.
"You're an Abnegation transfer?!" He says, surprised.
"Well, I'm wearing grey so I'm pretty sure I'm from Abnegation." I say sarcastically. The Amity boy just gives me a goofy smile. Then his eyes dart behind me, and I turn around to see a train coming.
"Better start running!" He says. I follow him as he runs beside the tracks. The train follows us but slows down once it reaches the tracks. A Dauntless girl in front of us jumps onto a ledge and presses a button which opens the door.
"Come on, jump!" She says. The Amity boy gets on the train and I follow him, and we sit side by side on the floor.