1. Fierce Corpses

(Lan Wangji with his Bichen.)

Finally finishing the transcription of the sutras Lan Qiren had told him to copy from the historical section of the Library pavilion  Wangji made his way towards Lan Qiren's quarter but on the way to Lan Qiren's, he saw a glimpse of both Lan Xiche...

Finally finishing the transcription of the sutras Lan Qiren had told him to copy from the historical section of the Library pavilion Wangji made his way towards Lan Qiren's quarter but on the way to Lan Qiren's, he saw a glimpse of both Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren in Hanshi in a very solemn mood discussing something while sipping tea. So he felt it was better judgment and walked there and knocked at the door. He briskly heard a come-in and walked towards the meeting area in Hanshi.

" Good Evening Xiongzhang! Shufu! I hope that I am not disturbing an important meeting but as I was on my way to see Shufu and saw him talking with Xiongzhang I came here." He bowed both of them and reasoned his visit. Lan Xichen just gave his brother a sweet smile and Lan Qiren a curt node meaning they didn't mind him being there. That is just how they communicate anyway.

"It's alright Wangji! It's the right time you've chosen to come here, come sit Xichen and I were actually having a discussion about how things are going in Ciayi city, it's now time you also learn how to help town people with their problems." Lan Qiren said as he poured a cup of tea for Wangji and put it in front of him. 

Wangji just looked at both of them as understanding dawned upon him that they are telling him he can now go on night hunts alone without any supervision from their teachers and he felt like he have gained a different sort of responsibility than he already is used to. He can now go on and protect common people and help them, it made him immensely happy but as showing excess emotion on his face was not allowed he just swallowed his desire to smile and gave a small nod so his shufu can continue what he was saying.

"There have been a lot of complaints nowadays about fierce corps running rampant in the town. They are mostly active during the night and are causing a lot of inconvenience for the non-cultivators as they do not know how to handle these kinds of things." Xichen said with a sigh.

"And the two of the team that went to investigate have come empty-handed without a clue about what is happening. So we need a person who'll look at the matter on a deeper level. So your brother thought that either he or I should go and investigate ourselves but as a sect leader he has his hands full as the day for the disciples to come to Gusu is nearing and we have to make preparations so we have both reached a decision that you'll be suitable to lead the investigation." Lan Qiren told him and he didn't know what to say.

He sure has gone on night hunts and also has partaken in some of the investigations where the mystery of the ghosts, ghouls, and spirits are hard to solve but he has never been the one to lead. Will he be able to do the job well? what if it becomes a total failure and both Xiongzhang and Shufu will be disappointed in him. What if by leading he'll risk one of his partners.