2. Gate of Cloud Recesses

They had returned to the inn they had placed their belongings in the morning and had planned to stay the night there. They would have gone back immediately as the case seems of utmost importance as they can't just be moving around with a fierce corpse in tow but as it was late already and the person should return before 7 pm to enter cloud recesses he made the decision to stay. He rented 3 rooms, he gave the room keys of the 2 rooms to the four of them and let them decide their sleeping arrangement while he requested for the corpse they collected to be placed in his room, not that he does not find the people who've come with him as irresponsible but he just didn't want to risk it if anything happened while they were sleeping as he was the person who was responsible for this. His brother and uncle had trusted him with this work and he just want to make this work without making them worried. They had their dinner together in silence and went to their respective rooms, before sleeping though he once again check the conditions of the corpse and used a talisman to not make the corpse move again, and went to sleep after shedding his outer robes.

As the darkness surrendered and the sky was covered in a hue of gold and red Wangji woke up. It always has been engraved in his brain and body to wake up at 5 in the morning, one of the rules that not only was craved in the stones at the gate of cloud recesses but also his whole being. He made his way down to get the breakfast after he has freshen up and met with his partners.

They left the inn at around 7 am and started their journey towards cloud recesses by foot as they had to carry the fierce corpse back they could not just fly with their swords. They made their way slowly and he had hoped they would reach the gates before the sunset because they were near the forest that leads to Qishan and that is too far away from Gusu. They set their pace steady resting for a few minutes every few hours they finally reached the gate of Cloud Recesses around the sunset as Wangji had expected.

As he neared the gate he heard people talking loudly there, what is possibly happening at the gates? Are there any intruders here...but if they were intruders his brother would already be informed. He kept thinking about different situations till he reached the place where all the people were gathered.

He thanked the merciful Buddha they were not intruders and just some disciples from one of the sects who are here to attend the lectures. It seems like it already was time that the disciples were arriving for lectures. They have just arrived and he already feels his energy draining they were just a group from one sect how was he supposed to deal with these lots of people. Most of the people arriving here will be now breaking rules left and right and he just will be having more time babysitting these young masters than living his life in peace and meditating and reading new books. It already feels like a long year ahead though just one week ago he was just happy he was granted the responsibility of leading the night hunt alone. He just sighed internally thinking about how he will be expected to socialize with the people this year as sect heirs of 3 prominent clans are attending this will play a role in the betterment of the sect relations and also because his brother has been pushing him to make friends.

Those people were still somewhat arguing with the gatekeeper and not wanting to be involved in the mess going there Wangji wanted to just go and meet his brother and uncle regarding the night hunt, he walked past them and moved towards the gate where he was greeted by the gatekeeper but as his partners had not arrived yet and him not wanting these mere strangers to know about the corpse he was bringing here as it was the sect's business he waited and asked what seems to be the problem here and turns towards the crowd that was gathered there. They seem to be dressed in the white clothes of the Gusu Lan with the purple embroider lotus flower... so he guessed that this group of disciples was from Yunmeng Jiang.

He was trying to recollect everything he knows about the Yunmeng Jiang sect when he overhears one of the people in the group whispering to another about how he can be the key for them to enter inside the cloud recesses as he is the brother of the sect leader here. People really think that they can talk their way out but too bad that he would not be understanding about this. He was not going to let that happen anyways as he saw the people with the corpse walking back, he thought of just walking out of there and turned as those people talking among themselves about what had happened to the person in the stretcher as the stretcher was brought from in between them. But he stopped in his tracks and listened when he heard someone say with great confidence that it seems like he is cursed by some wicked sorcery. Wangji couldn't control himself and turned to get a look at the person who just said that because it seems like this person does have knowledge about this situation because that was what he was contemplating this whole way.

Maybe because he turned and one of them see as if it was an opportunity not to be missed he greeted and introduced himself to Wangji.

" Lan er gongzi, I'm Jiang Cheng from the Jiang clan of Yungmeng, son of our clan leader Jiang Fengmian. This is my sister Jiang Yanli." the man said pointing towards a petite-looking girl on his right. "My senior brother, Wei Wuxian."

His brain started thinking of where he have possibly heard that name, though he is not the person to listen and believe the rumors and judge the person by them just taking a glance at the boy smiling with twinkling eyes had made him uncomfortable and bothered enough to make him think of the rumors he has heard of Wei Wuxian being the famous troublemaker in the world of cultivation seem plausible.

He was weirded by the fact that even though Wei Wuxian did not do anything he already feels irritated and warm just by looking at him smiling at Wangji and he also bowed to him as he did not want to be taken as rude too he also bowed to them to show my respect and didn't introduce himself as they already seem to know who he was.

Then person Jiang Cheng gained more confidence as he greeted them says " Lan er gongzi, we accidentally got our invitation lost. it's getting late and it is also inconvenient to sleep outside. Please make an exception for us."

As he knows all the sects minor or major who are to attend lectures were sent invitations and they are to be only let in if they show proper invitation shown at the gate for entrance on the first day until they are given individual tokens was a rule for the guest lectures and he does not want anyone to not follow the rules so he tells them that he can not just let them in simple language.

" No invitation, No entry."

" Lan er gongzi, we came all the way from Yunmeng. Despite the exhausting travel, we finally made it before sunset to Cloud recess. You just turn us down because we don't have the invitation, Don't you think it's a little rigid." Said Wei Wuxian and Wangji just looked at him, just him speaking is irritable it seems why would a rule clearly stated to each of the sects before they reach here be rigid? It is followed by each of the disciples coming to Gusu as gest disciples and anything like this has never happened just who does this person think he is for whom the rules should be bent. With a slight glare toward Wei Wuxian, he tries again to get it through the thick head of that guy

" No invitation, No entry."

"Lan er gongzi it was an accident we never intended to lose it. Please make an exception." He is so done with this person can't he follow the rules that have been clearly stated what is hard about it and how can you lose something which is the only way you can enter the place you are going. What is this bunch of people even doing with these many of them even one of them couldn't keep it safe?

"Find it and come back." He told Wei Wuxian, resting the talk and walking towards the gate so he could just do something he could have already done if not for this interruption but seems like Wei Wuxian still had something left to say.

"Lan er gongzi sun is about to set, while we are more than 20 miles away from Caiyi town. You ask us to find it now."

Wangji just takes a long breath not wanting to involve himself in conservation and also not wanting to hear that boy's voice he puts a silencing spell on Wei Wuxian and went inside the gate.

I have mostly taken account from "The Untamed" for this chapter of how they met outside the cloud recesses as that is how they met in the live-action.

And I'm also uploading this chapter on the third anniversary of the drama so happy third anniversary of this masterpiece coming between us.... and I'm sure gonna go rewatch it after I upload this chapter.