Chapter 5

Rinka was strolling towards the art room, as usual. She brought along a few sketches of random objects, plants and people she made. She wanted to share them with Mrs Saeki. She was just about to slide open the classroom door, when she heard Yataro's voice leaking out.

She heard Mrs Saeki explain the various concepts of art to him. Then she smiled. I'm glad that Yataro found something that he likes.

"Sensei... Is it okay to just take art as just a hobby? " Yataro asked solemnly. " If there's no guarantee you can make a living out of it, then what's the point of going to an art school? "

" Let's see... " Mrs Saeki started. " Then, why do you think you are guaranteed to make a good living if you go to a regular college? "

" In this day and age, even Tokyo U graduates can find it hard to get a job. In that case, art students may have a better chance, because they have something to stand out. You can even earn teaching or curating licenses through the university too. And contrary to popular belief, big companion often come scouting in top tier art schools. " Mr Saeki continued.

" Really? " Yataro was very surprised to hear that. Rinka merely soaked all of what she said in. Her eyes darkened in a rare moment of serious contemplation.

"What you are really asking for, is if you can make a living out of being an artist. As I have mentioned before, it is extremely difficult to make a living out of being a full-time artist. However, that sort of start-up risk is the same in any industry." Mrs Saeki calmly explained.

" While going to art school doesn't mean you can make a living, it does give you an edge over the other artists who don't. That is because, they provide you with the prestige and the environment. The reputation of your school helps you gain connections, which means that you will have a higher chance of others looking at your work. By attending the school, you get to experience how your peers produce their work and you're provided with plenty of supplies and resources. It's quite common for big name artists to come from art schools."

Rinka closed her eyes. If it was connections, she did not lack it. If it was the environment, she always had people who supported her. Why was she doing all this again? She clenched the sketches a little tighter.

"To do what you enjoy just as a hobby, I think that is too much of an adult perspective. " Mrs Saeki shared." I don't know who you learnt that from, but...kids who can't work hard, are those without passion. It's only natural for people to invest their lives in things that they care about. "

The momentary silence stilled Rinka's heart. Turbulent doubts on her efforts were gently washed away by Mrs Saeki's words.  Rinka smiled, her resolve burning brighter than before.

"I..." Yataro started. "I'm honestly very tempted, but I just don't have the confidence. Do you think, I can get into an art school? "

Yes, you can. I believe you can do it.

" I don't know! But when hard workers get to do something they love, they're unstoppable." Mrs Saeki encouraged.

"... I'll bring a club registration form tomorrow! " Yataro swore.

Rinka walked away, quietly happy for her friend.  Ayukawa just looked at Rinka, then back at Yataro. He followed Rinka until he could no longer see her. Then, he too, silently contemplated his future.

He was already surprised at Yataro's quick decisions. He saw Rinka's eyes filled with reignited passion. Now, he just thought about himself.