Chapter 12

Kaia Kestis

Standing on the edge of the clearing where the stolen TIE had crashed, Kaia breathed in, feeling the strength of the Force flowing through this place and ignoring the stinging of her injuries. Ersela was walking back over to the TIE, but Kaia didn't hear what she was saying. She was too distracted by the voices whispering quietly in her ear.

"Come to us," they whispered, and she could hear a combination of familiar voices joined by ones she had never heard before in her life. "Follow the path on the edge of the cliff. It will lead you to us."

Without thinking, Kaia did as they said, though she still felt uneasy. She could sense Ersela watching her, but her friend did not react.

As Kaia continued along the narrow path, the voices grew more excited, urging her forward.

"You're close," her mother's voice whispered.

"Just a few more steps," Ben Solo's voice urged. Kaia put one hand on her lightsaber cautiously. There was just more path ahead. What did he mean by just a few more-

Suddenly the ground gave way beneath her and she fell with a yelp of surprise. The cliff became shrouded from her view by fog as she fell, and she hit the ground faster than she would have expected. Except...she wasn't dead, and instead of landing in the forest below, she was in the middle of a field.

Kaia stood up slowly, rubbing her head where it had hit the ground, and stared out across the field, growing more and more unsettled. In the distance she could make out a structure that she knew all too well, except in reality, it was in ruins, unlike it was here. It was Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple.

Suddenly, Kaia recognized the field she was in, and her heart caught in her throat. The memories she had of this place...

"I've been waiting for you." Kaia spun around at the voice and activated her lightsaber. Ben Solo stared back at her, appearing not to notice the green blade a few inches from his chest.

"What is this?" Kaia demanded, not willing to lower her blade. Ben didn't reply. "WHAT IS THIS?"

Ben's deep brown gaze burned into hers and she faltered, doubting herself. More quietly, she repeated, her voice barely a whisper, "What is this?"

"A memory," he replied finally. "A reminder of what could have been." Kaia lowered her saber, confused, and turned around, the wind whipping past her face and tossing her hair around. Not far off, she could see two figures running through the field, laughing, growing closer. She deactivated her lightsaber and glanced back at Ben, feeling sick.

"Please don't," she whispered. "There's a reason why this could never work, could never be the future." Ben didn't seem to hear her. The two people kept getting closer, but Kaia already knew who they were.

Sure enough, when they were close enough to make out their features, Kaia recognized the young lovers. It was herself and Ben, both of them younger, happier, and in love. They collapsed in the grass together, and Kaia looked away, back at the version of Ben that was standing next to her, who appeared more like he was now, older, more solemn.

"Please, stop this," she pleaded, clipping her lightsaber back onto her belt.

"Why?" Ben demanded, suddenly angry. "This is what you want, isn't it? You can lie to everyone else, but you can't lie to me!"

Kaia turned away, tears burning in her eyes, and started to make a run for the Temple, away from him, but she suddenly found herself running through a dark, rocky tunnel, towards a dim light. She halted once she reached it, tears streaming down her face, knowing full well what she was about to see. Again, the younger versions of herself and Ben stood in front of her, though they didn't seem to notice her presence, at the mouth of the cave, overlooking the ocean far below them. They were lost in each other's eyes, standing close together, and Kaia tried to look away, but she felt a firm hand grab her chin and turn her head back towards them.