Chapter 14

Cora Tonra

 Cora was extremely grateful to be out of the bacta tank, feeling refreshed and strong. Though her excitement was dampened a bit by the news that General Organa had died. She knew she had sensed something while she was in the tank, and from Kaia's face, she could tell that her fellow Jedi had sensed it as well.

"Good to see you out of that tank," Kaia remarked with a smile as she came over to her. "I was beginning to think you actually liked it in there."

"Ha ha, very funny," Cora muttered, rolling her eyes. She glanced around, making sure no one was watching them. "Where's my lightsaber?"

"Right, here it is," Kaia said, pulling it out of the bag she had slung around one shoulder and handing it to her. "Kelsa had to borrow it."

"So she knows?" Cora asked in a low voice. "Does anyone else?"

Kaia shook her head. "No I don't think so, unless Lyra figured it out. I think she's a little suspicious." She shrugged. "Oh well, we're probably going to have to reveal ourselves to everyone soon anyways."

Cora blinked at her. "And why would we do that?"

"Look, this is going to be the last battle against the First Order," Kaia told her. "The Resistance is going to need all the help it can get, especially if Rey is going to be dealing with Palpatine."

"That actually makes sense," Cora conceded. "So should we tell them now?"

"No," Kaia responded sharply. "We wait until the battle. There's no need to reveal ourselves until then."

"OK, that's fine with me," Cora said. She raised an eyebrow. "I'm guessing you invited the Mantis to join us."

Kaia sighed, glancing over her shoulder. "How did you know?"

"Oh, I can see Greez trying to get some people to play sabacc over there," Cora responded with a laugh. "You gonna ride with them?"

"Yeah, but don't worry, the ship has guns now," Kaia replied with a grin.

"Sounds fun," Cora commented. "Can I join?"

"Sure, why not?" Kaia agreed. "The more the merrier."

When Rey found the Sith homeworld and location of Palpatine, a mysterious planet called Exegol, Poe, Finn, and Ersela, the acting leaders of the Resistance, launched an attack almost immediately. When they got there, the First Order, now the Final Order, was rising, hundreds of Star Destroyers taking to the skies. Cora had to admit she was pretty terrified.

"Alright, so who's manning the guns?" Greez asked as they began their attack run. They were expecting more help to arrive soon, but for now, the Resistance had to hold out with what it had.

"Me," both Merrin and Cora responded at the same time. They looked at each other, surprised. Kaia chuckled slightly.

"So which one of ya?" Greez demanded, swerving upward as he avoided the fire of a squadron of TIE fighters. Had everyone not been strapped in, they would have all gone flying backwards. BD-1, who was perched on the controls in front of Kaia, went tumbling to Cora friend's lap with a shriek of terror.

"I'll do it," Merrim affirmed as they leveled back out, and Cora frowned. If this was how it was going to be, then she really wished she had flown her X-Wing instead.

As Merrin moved seats and grabbed the controls to the turret that had been attached to the bottom of the ship, Kaia put BD-1 back onto the control system before standing up and clapping Cora on the shoulder reassuringly.