Chapter 18

Lyra Solo

The Resistance was celebrating. After the long struggle of fighting against the First Order, they had finally won. As Lyra stepped out of the Mantis, supporting her brother, now brought back to the light as Ben Solo, she was flooded with a rush of happiness and peace. Though her parents were gone and the New Republic was destroyed, there was still hope in the galaxy, and Lyra knew that her mother was proud of both her children for succeeding.

A medical droid came to take Ben from her, and she let it, despite Ben's less than excited expression, though she would have to speak to her brother later. They had a lot to discuss. For now, she went back to the Mantis, where Kaia and Cora were waiting for her.

"Let's go find Ersela and Kelsa," Cora offered as she approached. "Then we can celebrate." She grinned, looking excited at the prospect, and Lyra did too.

"Looks like they already found us," Kaia pointed out, and Lyra turned around to see Kelsa and Ersela, both looking injured and tired, but filled with excitement and joy, heading towards them.

"Oh, good, you're all still alive," Ersela sighed with relief as they all wrapped each other in a big group hug. "I was a little worried."

Cora scoffed as they all pulled away. "I think two Jedi and the daughter of Leia Organa can handle themselves."

"About the whole Jedi thing," Kelsa started. "When were you going to tell me about that?"

"When the time was right," Kaia replied with a shrug, then winced slightly at the pain from the large burn on her arm.

Kelsa raised an eyebrow, still not convinced, but didn't say anything more on the subject. Instead, she glanced at Ersela, who was moving over to where Finn and Poe were standing not too far away.

"If you'll excuse me," the Mandalorian said politely as she left, Kelsa following close behind her.

"Do you want to see what that's about?" Cora asked Kaia, who was glancing back at the Mantis, appearing lost in thought.

"No, but you can if you want to," she responded, somewhat absently. Cora stared at her for a moment, as if debating saying something else.

Finally, she ended up saying, "OK, I'll go by myself." It wasn't said in a mean way, but Lyra could tell she wanted to get more of a reaction out of Kaia.

"That's fine with me," Kaia replied passively. "I'll come over in a few minutes." Apparently satisfied with that response, Cora made her way over to the others, leaving Lyra alone with Kaia, who was watching her friend go with a straight face, but when she turned to Lyra after Cora was out of earshot, her eyes were glittering with anticipation. "I have to ask you something."

"What is it?" Lyra inquired, intrigued. If this was something Kaia didn't want discussed around Cora, it must be interesting.

"Will you come with me to find Crimson Dawn?" Kaia asked, her voice hopeful.

"You mean the crime syndicate?" Lyra demanded, shocked. "Why would you want to do that?"

"My mother used to be the leader of Crimson Dawn," Kaia explained. "And I think it's time I take my place as its leader. I can turn it into something good, that will help the Galaxy instead of hurt it."

Lyra studied her friend's face for a moment, debating. She had planned on helping to rebuild the New Republic, but helping her friend seemed more important, and something told her that it was the right decision to make.

"Alright, I'll come with you," Lyra told her with a small sigh. "Now we just have to break the news to the others."

"Right." Kaia gritted her teeth, looking anxious. "I just hope they'll let me go. I don't want to desert everyone when we're trying to rebuild, but I have to do this."

Lyra patted her shoulder in reassurance. "I'm sure they won't mind. I mean, they're our friends after all." Kaia nodded, seeming a bit more confident, and the two of them walked over to the rest of the group.

"Oh good," Ersela smiled as they came over. "We could use your help figuring everything out." At the same time, Ben returned, freshly bandaged, Rey at his side.

"Actually, General, I came to ask permission to go on a personal mission," Kaia replied apologetically.

Ersela eyed her curiously, as did the others. "What kind of personal mission?"

Kaia took a deep breath before responding, "I want to find Crimson Dawn. My mother was leader before she died, and now it's time I take her place."

"But isn't it a crime syndicate?" Kelsa put in skeptically.

"Yes, it is," Kaia acknowledged. "For now. Once I secure leadership, I want to ally Crimson Dawn with the New Republic so that it can start to do good."

"That could work," Poe commented thoughtfully. "I like it." Beside him, Finn nodded in agreement.

"Then it is agreed," Ersela announced. "You may go." She turned to look at Lyra expectantly. "And what about you?"

"I'm going with her," Lyra replied. "I wish I could stay, but I feel like I have to go on this mission."

"Very well," Ersela responded. "Cora, will you be going as well?"

"No," Cora answered firmly. "My place is here."

"Mine is too," Kelsa chimed in quickly.

Ersela glanced around the gathered faces. "Is anyone else planning on leaving?"

"Actually," Rey piped up. "I have something I need to do." She glanced up at Ben, her expression a mixture of regret and determination. "Alone." She returned her attention back to Ersela. "But I will come back, I promise." Then she looked back up at Ben, put one hand against his cheek and let it linger there a moment before she sprinted off in the direction of her X-Wing.

Everyone began to disperse, and after a moment, Kaia moved over to Ben, who was watching Rey take off, and Lyra followed close behind her. Kaia waited for a moment before saying anything, allowing Ben a moment to himself.

Quietly, she said, "You could come with us if you want to." Ben turned to look at her. "We could use your help. Besides, do you really want to stay behind and deal with all the politics?"

Ben looked tempted as he responded, "No, I don't." Then he paused and glanced back up at the sky, doubt flickering across his gaze. "But I'm not sure if I want to go looking for a crime syndicate either."

"Listen, I know you want to wait for Rey," Kaia conceded. "But trust me on this."

"She's right," Lyra agreed, hoping her brother would agree to come with them instead of moping. "We could really use your help with this. Please, come with us."

Ben met her gaze, looking deep into her eyes as he searched for an answer. Finally, he said, "Fine, I'll come with you. But this better be worth it." Lyra and Kaia exchanged a triumphant smile as they led the way back to the Mantis, and on towards adventure.

A/N:  Thank you so much for reading! I absolutely loved writing this story and I hope you enjoyed reading it too! May the Force be with you!