VIII

*Mentions of the heartbreak of not being able to get pregnant*

The next morning, i woke up to a knocking at my door.

Opening it, i found an envelope with my name on it. Shutting the door, i walk over to the couch and i open it.

'Miss  Casandra Hopesfield... blar blar blar.... regret to in form you that you have a 25% chance of being able to carry a child, this is unfortunately significantly lower then the average 84%'

'25%'

'significantly lower'

'regret'

Placing my hand over my eyes and i cry. No, i don't mean pretty cry, i mean i sob. I most likely won't be able to get pregnant. I wont be able to start my own family, i wont be able to be a Mum. I let the crying rack my body as i think about all the things that i won't be able to do.

Then the worst thing that could happen, happens as i hear the door squeak as it opens.

"Cassy?" I hear and just the sound of her voice makes me cry even harder as she walks over and i show her the paper.

Its silent as she reads it and then she hugs me, tight.

"You couldn't control it, Cassy, its not your fault" She say as i try to calm myself down.

"I know" I say as i pull back "But it still hurts"

"You know that i'm here, right? If you ever need me i'm always going to be here" She say and i hug her one last time.

"What am i going to do, how do i tell him?" I ask

"I don't know, but you need to do it before he goes back" She says as she stand up and grabs her bag of the side "I love you"

"Have a good day at school" I call just as the door shuts and I'm left with my thoughts.

Sighing, I drag myself off the couch and I start on breakfast. I cook some eggs and I start on the toast as I feel arms envolope around me.

"Hello, miss Hopesfield, whatever you're cooking smells delicious" He says and I smile as brightly as I can

"I try" I says as he walks to the table as I sit next to him with two plates.

"So... When do you have to go back to the field?" I ask

"Tommorow" He says and I swallow as I nod "Why, is something wrong?" He asks me.

"No.. Not at all" I say as I keep my glance trained on the table, not eating.

"Cassy... I've known you long enough... What's wrong?" He asks and I sigh

"I don't want to ruin breakfast, I mean you're eating and-" I say but he stops me as he places his cutlery down

"Now I'm not" He says and I sigh

"Steve, do you ever imagine what your future will be like?" I ask and he thinks for a second "I mean like who you'll get married to in the future and if you'll have... Kids" I say

"I mean, I suppose so. I would like to get married" He says as he looks at me and he smiles "I hope to you... Why is this your way of telling me that you want me to propose already?" He says and I laugh as he reaches his hand out, across the table and i hold it.

"Steve..." I sigh as the atmosphere turns serious "Steve do you want kids?" I ask

"I wouldn't mind some, maybe a girl or a boy, I haven't really thought about it" He says and I nod "Wait, you're not pregnant, we only just did it yest-"

"-No, I'm not pregnant Steve, I don't think I ever will be" I say

"What?" He asks

"Steve I don't think I can get pregnant" I say and he takes a minute before he pushes his chair back, walks around to my side of the table and hugs me

"So that's why you're asking me all these questions" He says as he pulls back "And I wouldn't worry about it, we don't need children to be happy, as long as I've got you i'll be fine" He says and I blush.

"You mean that?"

"Of cause" He says and I smile as he stands up "is this what you've been worried about?"

I nod

"I'm so sorry, but don't just think about how this will impact me" he says making me confused "you're the one who this effects the most and I'm so sorry" he says and his soothing words impact me more then he knows.

After a while he clears his throat and looks at me sadly.

"I've got to go... First mission with the army" He says and I smile as i kiss him one last time.

He looks back at me one last time and he walks out the door into an awaiting car.

__________

It's been about 2 weeks since Steve left and I've been doing better with the news of Rebecca leaving.

I've had time to get over the shock of it and now Rebecca and I are closer then ever because I know we don't have long left together, but I know that something bad is about to happen, I can feel it. It's been such a nice two weeks... almost suspiciously nice and calm in the mixed of the war.

But as I do my usual, checking the post box, I sit down as I open two identical letters addressed from the royal army.

I raise an eyebrow as I open the letter with a content smile, but soon it falls.

'Dear Miss Rebecca Barnes, we regret to inform you that James Barnes has been killed in action'

I gasp as my hand covers my mouth. I reread the words maybe thirty times before they start to sound like English.

The stabbing pin in my chest only gets worse as I think about how Beccas going to be devistated.

Glancing over to the other letter that is unopened I dread the worst.