Chapter 6

Rachel tried to see where they were, but the night combined with the Jeep's tinted windows prevented it. "Can you tell us where we are now?" she asked, trying to sound politely interested rather than annoyed. She'd asked before. The answer had been empty and patronizing.

"My, my." The Hunter surveyed her in the rearview. "You really have no idea where I'm taking you?"

No, you snobby asshole.

Next to her, in the backseat, Daniel raised his head out of his hands. "We're in Italy, Rach. The Vatican, to be more precise."

Rachel turned to him. They hadn't spoken since being picked up in Paris. He'd asked for privacy, and did nothing but clutch his head all through the two hour flight and the ride from the airstrip. Rachel had a feeling the months of no brain use had taken their toll and he needed to sort his head out.

"Yes, that is right." The Hunter cut off the engine and unlocked the doors. "Follow me." He climbed out of the car.

Rachel clutched Daniel's wrist. He flinched, but didn't pull away.

How are you feeling? Should we try to escape?

Before he could answer, their guardian opened the door and indicated that they should get out. Rachel did so. They'd stopped in front of a white, renaissance-style chapel. A set of tall, wooden doors led the way inside.

Daniel put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed. We couldn't escape even if we wanted. This place is crawling with Hunters.

"This way, ladies." The Hunter pushed the doors open, revealing marble floors and ornate walls.

Rachel and Daniel stepped inside. The place was empty. No pews, no people. Only a small altar lined the back wall. Rachel swallowed hard. She hated the idea of a closed, dark, unfamiliar space. Daniel took her hand, obviously trying to soothe her. She pulled back. This was not the time to be calm. She'd rather be uncomfortable if that gave her more motivation to fight for her life.

The Hunter closed the doors and strutted to the altar. He kneeled in front of it, crossed himself and pulled at something. A marble slab on the floor slid across, revealing a narrow staircase.

Daniel sighed and started down the stairs. Rachel followed, her stomach a tight knot. Her heart hammered a warning of impending doom.

Blazing torches cast shadows on the stone corridor below, like something out of a horror movie. They stepped to the side and allowed the Hunter to lead the way through the maze-like tunnel.

Rachel leaned in close to Daniel. "Have you ever been here?"

"Nope." He smiled humorlessly. "I've heard of this place. Not happy to be here."

She wasn't happy to be there either. The creepiness of the place indicated that what followed wouldn't be pleasant.

The Hunter stopped as they came up to a set of handsome, engraved wooden doors. Rachel squinted. It appeared to be Latin writing, probably warnings spelled in ancient, golden letters.
The doors opened, revealing a massive room with a dome ceiling. Hundreds of candles and torches illuminated the scenes from history carved in the white walls. Just like in the chapel above, pinkish marble covered the floor. A huge painting depicting the gardens of paradise - Rachel thought it was a Michelangelo - dominated the back wall. What could only be a judges' bench stood under the painting, engraved in gold.

The Hunter led the way through rows of marble seats, toward a bar that separated the room in two sections. Rachel followed, looking at the people filling the seats. She could sense they were Hunters, they produced the same bitter aura. There were no women in the room.