Chapter 16

Rachel's gaze wandered out the window, to the glimmering lights of the passing cars. Darkness usually beckoned, but now, she didn't feel like leaving the apartment. Heck, she didn't feel like leaving the bed.

Daniel ran his fingers from her neck, down her spine, making her shiver with pleasure. She couldn't believe it had finally happened and how different it had been from anything she'd ever experienced. She'd had no reasons to complain before. Her sex life with Chris had been more than satisfactory. But this, this was on a whole different level. She wondered if it was just her, or he'd felt it too.

Daniel's hand froze on her back. That's an interesting question.

Rachel's muscles tensed. She forgot he could hear her inner thoughts.

Relax, gorgeous. I'm open to talk. He pulled her into his arms and nuzzled against her neck. It's not just you. This was something else entirely. And you know why.

She smiled and cuddled against him. Experience his feelings as well as her own, automatically doubled the amount of pleasure. Then there was the mad desire he ignited in her. And it was infinitely beyond words knowing first-hand just how much he wanted her, how sexy she looked to him.

What, Rach? Were you worried I'd compare you to Cheryl? He chuckled.

She sat up. There it was again, the blunt honesty that annoyed and turned her on at the same time. Why did he have to be right? The question lingered on the outskirts of her conscience.

He rose on his elbows. "Well, you're the best I've ever had. There. Does that make you happy?"

She stood, wrapping the end of the sheet around herself. "No."

"Yes it does."

Get out of my head!

Make me.

Rachel groaned. She watched the headlights for a while, then threw a glance over her shoulder, trying to hide her smile. Daniel had lain back, his folded hands behind his head. God, he was hot. He didn't seem to have a care in the world. Of course, he didn't. He knew she was only pretending to be upset. What she actually wanted was to jump him again.

A grin spread across his face and he opened his mouth to say something, then closed it.

"What?" she asked, getting back in bed.

"Read my mind."

She squinted at him, but nothing came through. Great, he'd already mastered how to block her out. She was back to being the incompetent one.

Then, an avalanche of feelings rushed toward her, almost knocking her off the bed. She'd never felt more peaceful, happier. For a moment, she was transported into a world where there was no worry, no pain, just perfection.

"This is how you make me feel." He rose on one elbow, resting his chin in his hand. "Now, quit pretending to be huffy and get back here."

The intensity of the emotions subsided, leaving Rachel feeling cold. She shuddered and scuttled next to Daniel. "I'm wondering if what we're doing is wise. I mean, Vlad might come after us."

"Don't think so." Daniel wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her against him. "You're not the only one with spiked powers, you know." He winked.

Rachel pondered over this as he kissed her neck. "I'm getting confused. What did this link actually do?"

"Besides improving our sex lives? When I came to terms with myself, I gave you my powers and I...evolved." The last word was filled with wonder, as though he couldn't believe it either. "I have no idea how I know this. I feel as if something's awfully different about me. I'm still me, but..." He frowned, his gaze lost in the distance. He suddenly shook his head and smiled again. "Anyway, I have a feeling I could sense Vlad a mile off if he dared show his dirty head."