Chapter 22

It took a couple of minutes for the guards to return with Vlad and Justin. The wraith trembled, his consistency changing from transparent to full-bodied. Vlad, on the other hand, had a small crease between his eyes, and seemed to be hovering between confusion and being a cocky bastard.

Rachel pulled Daniel closer, but the headache and nausea she'd come to associate with the vampire lord's presence never came. Vlad was somehow no longer a vampire. Or maybe he was.

Oh, God, we gave him superpowers! If he could now hide, they were so screwed.

Calm down, Rach. No, we didn't. Daniel tightened his grip on her hand. He seemed ready to snap. Look at his eyes. They're hazel instead of crimson.

Vlad seemed to decide on cocky bastard, so he grinned. "Hello, old friends."

Daniel let go of Rachel's hand and lunged at Vlad. He knocked him down, put his knees on Vlad's arms and punched him in the face. "You son of a bitch! I don't know why you're still alive, but, believe me, it won't last long."

"Get off me!" Vlad tried to wriggle free, but his superior physical strength was gone. "You can't hold what happened against me."

"Can't?" Daniel paused for a second before throwing a right hook at him. "You made me kill Cheryl! You almost turned Rachel into your bride!"

Vlad managed to slip free and backed away. "So? I was a vampire, you were a Hunter. And you're the one who started hunting me down! Besides, Rachel is gorgeous. You can't blame me for wanting her."

Did... Did Vlad just compliment her? Rachel had no idea how to feel about that, but the moment Daniel stepped toward him, she grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back. They had bigger problems than Vlad right now. Though, it was weird seeing him excuse his actions.

Roz raised her eyebrows. "Are you boys done with your testosterone display? Let's see what we have. I'd like to hear the accusations against these four prisoners." She leaned back in her chair, hands joined.

Daniel threw Vlad one more dirty look and walked back to Rachel. "How about telling me what that big thing I don't know is?"

Roz leaned forward again, her eyes bright blue slits. "I thought Max taught you the protocol, boy. I'd be grateful if you'd respect it." She relaxed against the headrest once more.

Daniel clasped his hands behind his back, eyes fixed on the floor. Great. Another protocol lover. I'm getting sick and tired of this.

Rachel took the required pose as well. Tell me about it. Déjà vú, much?

Let's hope it goes better this time. We don't have Gabriel to bust our asses out.

Rachel took in a deep breath. They'd sacrificed enough for the Hunters. Dying wasn't high on her list of priorities. And the way things were going, she hated Angus more than Vlad.

"The charges." The prosecutor got to his feet, clearing his throat. "The wraith is charged with deceit and espionage on behalf of the traitors. The vampire is a vampire. He should be exterminated immediately.

"Regarding the traitors: to the previous charges of living outside any monitored Hunter division, killing without reporting, endangering human lives, breaking the oath of secrecy and hunting without a permit, the prosecution would like to add those of defying the High Council, refusing to execute their sentences, murder of the Head Hunter, Gabriel Saligny, and genocide against the entire Hunter race.

"Daniel Paxton is also accused of turning a human into a Hunter, not registering said new Hunter, and not reporting the death of his partner to the High Council."