Kabanata 27

Kabanata 27

Call

Christmas didn't feel the same way anymore. I use to love it when I was a kid, but as I grow up—I realize that people only celebrate it to have fun... To have a reason to unite, fix things, and to put up a perfect facade to fabricate the life that's too fucked up. Another reason to be unbearably kind to other people just because it's Christmas.

I grew tired of pretending that this will fix every little broken things in life.

Tinanaw ko si River, nakasandal siya sa motor niya habang ilang ulit na sinusulyapan ang cellphone at ang pinto. Nagtago ako sa gilid ng bintana at pinagmasdan siya sandali doon.

He's wearing a dark blue flannel shirt, underneath it is a black top—he paired it with a black pants with silver chains and rugged pockets, his shoes are in the color of black too and is high-cut.

I stepped out. Mabilis siyang tumuwid sa pagkakatayo.

"Uy," Kumaway si River sa akin.

Tuluyan akong lumabas ng building, yakap-yakap ang sarili. Pinasadahan ako ng tingin ni River. Bumagsak din ang tingin ko sa aking katawan.

Sure—I lost a few pounds. But my lace longsleeves top, tight little skirt, and my Saint Laurent Wyatt boots are still altered and fitted to my perfection.

"Why are you wearing a skirt?" Namamaos niyang tanong nang nakalapit ako.

"Aren't you going to greet me a Merry Christmas?"

His brow shot up and sighed. "I did earlier. Now, why are you wearing a skirt? Sasakay tayo sa motor."

"Hmm, I'll cover it with your flannel shirt." I tugged his flannel shirt.

"Ibibigay ko talaga sa'yo 'to." Seryoso niyang sabi at walang kahirap-hirap na hinubad iyon.

Like the one he did in his party a months ago, he tied his flannel shirt around my waist. He looks so serious as he busied himself—making sure that I'm wearing it the right way and that it won't reveal my nakedness. Although I'm wearing a cycling, it's nice that he thought of this.

"Masyado ka namang seryoso..."

"You look thinner, Lei... At malamig..."

"Dahil doon nagseryoso ka?"

He cocked his head to the side. There is something that's screaming and begging to come out from the language of his eyes. He looked at me like I was some puzzle he cannot solve. Somehow it gave me satisfaction that for once, he's imtrigued by me.

Unsaturated colors appear above us as I watch him intently. The night is as cunning as a wolf, it painted the town darkness so we have to admire and glorify its light. The woven enchanted stardusts bloom like flowers in a garden of thorns.

His eyes watch me tenderly, like I am a fragile glass bound to slip because of trembling, clumsy fingertips that only know how to seek pleasure in the wrong places.

"Merry Christmas," He uttered after a few seconds of being alone with our comfortable silence.

I tiptoed to give him a small kiss on the cheeks—as a gratitude for everything.

My friends couldn't reach me and I couldn't rrach them too. I felt so alone for thepast weeks. I could no longer find any reason to continue, but I don't know how to stop breathing without hurting.

"Wala akong regalo para sa'yo pero puwede mong ubusin ang lahat ng pagkain sa apartment ko." He  smiled.

"Thanks, wala rin naman akong regalo... I haven't given much thought about everything lately-"